Need new bow!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

turnip
Dúnadan

Need new bow!

Post by turnip »

Okay, I got out my little long bow (the one my step-dad made some 50+ years ago), gently flexed ( warmed it up?), strung it, and was showing a young friend how to draw, when the thing had a 'catastrophic failure' - in other words, the bow suddenly broke into a jillion shards! After some very colorful language from all parties present, we did determine that there were no injuries. So, anyway, I now need to find another bow! Am looking for a long bow - about a 40 lb. My draw length is 27". Figured I'd turn to my fellow rangers for any possible leads… Thanks for any info! Sindara
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Need new bow!

Post by Peter Remling »

Woodbows.com provides a inexpensive decent bow. They are currently out of stock on everything, I'm assuming it's due to Christmas.

http://woodbows.com/

Rudderbows is another great inexpensive option:

http://www.rbows.com/fantasy.html

Rudderbows can be purchased through any of these vendors:

http://www.rbows.com/purchase.html

I havn't checked recently but I believe both companies offer kits too, for the Do It Yourselfers
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thanks Peter!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.gibow.com/shop/

This site has some good prices, especially if you don't mind doing a little finish work.
You can't take the sky from me.
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thanks Wulfgar! Maybe I should do some finish work - would have to learn a little more about this, which is always good!
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

gibows finish their bows to the point where all that's needed is sandpaper. according to their website lol
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Rudderbows has kits. I have an English style longbow from them laminated of bamboo, epee, and hickory with horn nocks. Very economical.

Woodbows I am not sure of but their bows are very good. I have a reflex-deflex from them and it is a great bow. It is a bamboo-ash bow. Very economical.

I cannot speak to other makers of European style bows; the gentleman who crafted my ash longbow is no longer in business.

Other than those, the rest of mine are horse bows; Magyar, Turkish, and Scythian. These range from around $200.00 upward. Good prices for such bows but A) not Eurpoean style and B) rather more difficult to master; they are not strung like a longbow, if one wants them to last, and they shoot best with a thumb ring..although the three finger draw is entirely possible. They tend to pinch and they have substantial hand shock for those unaccustomed to them.

I'll stop rambling now. LOL

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Have you considered trying making your own bow? It's a long process of trial and error but the result is far more satisfying than buying a bow.

It is only fitting that the hands shooting the bow also have made the bow - it really does feel like a part of you.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Along with building your own bow, here is a few links to help you get started. This guy is very informative and everything he does save 1 thing is all hand tools. Now this guy starts from the absolute beginning, and by that I mean cutting down the tree :)

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWDgNrLYps
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e4lVUhBh90
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws-6AU8WZb8
Part4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7UMmtSI3vU
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've actually started looking around for another new bow myself, and I was wondering if anyone here could actually suggest a few higher end bowyers out there. The next one I get I'd like to be top-of-the-line, but I'm not sure where to look that sells a really, really nice longbow. I'm not talking $1000+ here, but something in the $200 to $500 range might be nice.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Gotta love Billy Berger! On Naked and Afraid, He lost 42 pounds!!! (Useless tidbit of info...)
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Wow! Thank you all for this great info! I would really LOVE to make my own bow, but would feel better if someone could oversee and help in this - I know so little… Tomorrow will go into town - think I'll stop at the archery shop and ask around… Anyway, you have all given some great information, and it is very much appreciated. Will keep you informed of what transpires…

Speaking of horse bows, Eledhwen, did you see that film that Straelbora mentioned? I'll have to see it again - see what kind of bows they're using…

We may be in many different walks of life (fiefs?), but I truly appreciate this brotherhood! Thanks again, all! Sindara
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sindara,
You and Turnip need to check out my Fief on Halt's Playground!
Stop by some time and look in the Northern Fiefs board. It is pretty well detailed with maps and an atlas. Several of the threads are set in Marshwood Fief and take one guess as to who it's Ranger is! :wink:

http://araluenrpg.proboards.com/
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson

GIBow

Post by RikJohnson »

I've had one older bow I had from the 70's break on me too, my glasses saved my eye but not my eyebrow<g>.
So I have to look around for another wood longbow.

The search led me to GIBow...
I own a number of their U-Finish bows simply because;
a) I like to support Vets
b) it is a US company
c) it was affordable.

My latest Carriage bow needed only staining. the rest took light sanding and some staining but GIBow will happily sell you a completely finished bow.
He also has occasional specials that cannot be beat.

He also sends them in the mail within days so I generally got them within a week to 10 days after ordering.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: GIBow

Post by Mirimaran »

RikJohnson wrote:I've had one older bow I had from the 70's break on me too, my glasses saved my eye but not my eyebrow<g>.
So I have to look around for another wood longbow.

The search led me to GIBow...
I own a number of their U-Finish bows simply because;
a) I like to support Vets
b) it is a US company
c) it was affordable.

My latest Carriage bow needed only staining. the rest took light sanding and some staining but GIBow will happily sell you a completely finished bow.
He also has occasional specials that cannot be beat.

He also sends them in the mail within days so I generally got them within a week to 10 days after ordering.
Rik, has GI Bow changed their address or something? I had emailed a couple of times last year inquiring about a survival bow and then nothing, haven't heard from them since.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"