ARROWS

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

ARROWS

Post by RikJohnson »

Because arrows are so freaking expensive!
And because I enjoy making my own gear,
I shopped around and bought a lot of shafts, points, feathers, etc.
Made my own jigs (see my other posts on archery gear) and proceeded to make a dozen arrows.

I had purchased a set of cedar shafts from Oregon with points and feathers,
then another set of shafts and points from China as an experiment. I don't recall what the Chinese wood was and the company, though priced right and delivery was quick they never replied to any question. Although advertized as 11/32", China does metric and 11/32" = 8.7312 mm which they don’t so so you get 8.5 or 9mm.

Regardless, I made 6 shafts from each with different heads to tell them apart. Below are the shafts with the Chinese points.

I also cut my own nocks and reinforced them with cotton thread but did NOT put inserts. I figured that with a 45# bow, there was no need.

I only made six of each simply because if I messed up (these were my very FIRST arrows) I’d have some shafts as a back-up and fix my mistakes.
Here are the finished shafts. The only difference between these and the Cedar is the point design (the cedar shafts have traditional target points and are a fraction smaller in diameter…. Plus the wood whose name I forgot.

It took me forever to get to the range, my archery buddies kept cancelling and getting sick and the range was closed for the holidays but yesterday I got there… for about an hour.

I took both my 45# GIBows with me, the longbow and carriage bow, plus a dozen of the arrows I had made.
My first dozen shots were all over the target BUT I DID hit the target each time and didn't have to chase any arrows!
After about the third quiver, I got used to the bow and arrows and put them all on the paper.
By the time I had to leave, half my arrows were in the center. Had I been able to stay, I would have gotten much better.
I did notice that I had two problems.
1) my shirt sleeve was too baggy and would occasionally catch the bowstring. Wear tighter shirt next time.
2) when I was trying to show-off, I messed up but when I relaxed and focused, I struck paper easily.
Both sets of arrows performed the same despite a fraction weight difference because of the wood and point. But both were made the same.
Note that no arrow broke or was damaged in flight or impact.
I DID take the precaution of drilling a hole in the point and driving a pin to hold the point to the shaft which prevented tip loss.
I had reinforced the nocks with cotton thread but no inserts and never suffered any damage to the nock.

So, as these arrows are a success, I can spend the next week making another dozen arrows and put hunting/war points on them. I think I can get some inexpensive Period broadheads on amazon for a couple bucks each.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: ARROWS

Post by Laothain »

They look great and glad that they shoot well.