pipe weed pouches?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

pipe weed pouches?

Post by man_of_tanith »

I'm looking for inspiration for something a little more rangeresque for carrying my pipe tobacco in.
Could I trouble you good folk for some suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: pipe weed pouches?

Post by Straelbora »

I've seen people use a regular draw-string pouch, and I know that it was common, including Professor Tolkien, for people to have sort of leather envelopes.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Check out these sweet tobacco pouches on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111406743/ ... h_type=all

https://www.etsy.com/listing/169873023/ ... h_type=all

https://www.etsy.com/listing/117498590/ ... h_type=all

Or for that matter, just do a quick search for "tobacco pouch" on there, and you'll turn up literally HUNDREDS of excellent results!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Oooo they are nice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK...damn! and I was just about to release the one I had been working on!
Yeah I saw these a few weeks, (weeks, months?) ago and have been working on one and trying to think up uses for the "pyrography on leather technique", on which I think I have made some interesting progress. I certainly can make the map tobacco pouch in any local map you might like, but aside from journals and wallets, I am also working on a line of Tankards that have the same map type sleeve with the Shire as the background, and a leather medallion with the particular favorite pub sign on it.(I have the Prancing Pony, the Mad Badger, the Comb and Wattle, The Golden Perch, The Plow and Stars, The Floating Log, The Green Dragon, The Ivy Bush and The Bird and Baby, so far) The Inn League Pub Crawl series was what was holding up the release. (I am trying to find a steady source of 18 - 22 oz ceramic or stoneware tankards to be able to have a steady supply, if anyone has a line on those please let me know!) If you like the pyrography map idea, let me know of your suggestions for applications a ranger could use it for. I was thinking of the World War II Bomber jackets with the map lining when I saw it and how a map could double as decoration for a functional item. In the mean time, before I release these on my Website, drop me a line if you are interested in any of the above. (orders that come from the MERF site enjoy a substantial discount of course!):mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

You have (hopefully) a pm.

As for pyrogrpahy and leather .
Hard boiled leater mapcases to store rolled modern maps to make more authentic.
The flaps of sporron belt pouches.
Bracers.
Ranger patches.
Monocular/binocular/telescope cases.
Compass case.

Just off top o my head