Vinegar Patina

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Vinegar Patina

Post by Daerir »

Well I was bored so I decided to add a patina to my Cold Steel thrower. It came out pretty good. A nice, splattered, grey look. I figured, its a throwing knife, its gonna be hard to keep shiny anyway so what the heck. I think I might also do it with my seax, since I messed it up today and had to tear off my handle -_-

An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Sindara
Dúnadan

Re: Vinegar Patina

Post by Sindara »

I really like the way that looks - like it's used, often - not something stuck away for show! Just vinegar? How applied - just rubbed on?
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Sindara wrote:I really like the way that looks - like it's used, often - not something stuck away for show! Just vinegar? How applied - just rubbed on?
Well I tried to do mustard first but it didn't work, I don't think I had enough on. So I got a cookie sheet (couldn't find anything else that would hold the monster) and just let vinegar soak on it for about 1-2 hours and it was greyed.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I used vineger on a Cold Steel pipe hawk. At first I soaked it cold for a couple of days and not much happened and what did just rubben off. Then I thought "Hmmm what if I add some heat as a catalyst?" So I put the head in an enamel ware pan with some vinegar on the camp stove and turned up the heat. After awhile,,,not really sure how long,,, I pulled it out. The metal was much darker and know the finish doesn't rub off.
You can't take the sky from me.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Did you degrease it first?
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

rangersamII wrote:Did you degrease it first?
I did wipe it down with alcohol first.
You can't take the sky from me.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

That's a head scratcher. I'm not sure why that did that