army blanket cloak

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

army blanket cloak

Post by RikJohnson »

I've been thinking of making a cloak form a 'wool army blanket' to accompany the actual claoaks I made. Something I could wear in the field and keep warm and protected as my other cloaks are more of an 'in town' sort of thing. Warm and comfortable but not as durable as I would wish.
Go to http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =25&t=2405 for these. Note that I gave the blue one to my daughter and made a green one that is almost identical.

It's Spring so people will soon be dumping their old army blankets onto the yard-sales, swap-meets and thrift-stores... which is safer than e-bay and cheaper than the surplus stores.

Planning the project I see three possible patterns, depending entirely upon the length of the cloak!

A standard 'army blanket' is 60-62" wide by 80-84" long. which is 5' x 6' 8". It weighs in at about 2# 6 oz.

If I fold the blanket lengthwise and cut a half circle, I will have a wool half-circle cloak 40" long.
This means it will go to my hips and weigh about 1# 3oz.

If I sew two together lengthwise, fold and cut a 1/4 circle, when unfolded I will have a half-cloak 60" long (reach to just below my knees) and weigh about 2# 6oz.

If I use 4 blankets, make two of the larger half-cloaks and sew them together, I will have a full round cloak that is warmer and works as a blanket (using scrap for a hood) is 5' long (longer if i add a hem from the scrap) and will weigh about 5#.

Although I like the idea of a full cloak, am I willing to live with the weight and bulk?

Any ideas or thoughts?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: army blanket cloak

Post by Straelbora »

I'm slowly building up a kit that has four season variety. I have a really nice cloak that I had made for me (my sewing skills are barbaric at best), made out of suit wool- so it's thin, not too stifling, like a blanket, when it's warm, but unlike cotton or linen, retains its heat-conserving properties when wet. However, it's brown, and I don't think that I can dye it towards a green or grey for Rangering. It does serve well for early spring and late fall, when the leaves are off and the brown fits the environment better.

I'm thinking of buying some suit wool in green or grey (most likely, the grey will be easier to find) to make a summer cloak.

I have a great greenish-grey military surplus blanket out of a heavier wool, and decided that I'm just going to keep it as a blanket. I wish I could find a lighter cloth with its color.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Actually, I own a large collection of grey military blankets. I prefer to use them un-modified as a cloak. Basically, I lay it on my shoulders so that the top reaches to just forward of my face, then find shoulder areas and gather them, pinning with a pennanular broach that I made out of some brass rod from Lowe's. If I want it to wrap more, I turn it sideways. Need it shorter? Fold it in half and then pin it. The biggest advantage I see to this is that I can still use it as a full blanket. I carry two with me at most times.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

E.MacKermak wrote:Actually, I own a large collection of grey military blankets. I prefer to use them un-modified as a cloak. Basically, I lay it on my shoulders so that the top reaches to just forward of my face, then find shoulder areas and gather them, pinning with a pennanular broach that I made out of some brass rod from Lowe's. If I want it to wrap more, I turn it sideways. Need it shorter? Fold it in half and then pin it. The biggest advantage I see to this is that I can still use it as a full blanket. I carry two with me at most times.
That's what I was thinking- that the green/grey blanket serves well as an unhooded cape when needed. I'm just someone who overheats easily, so when the color is right, it's a bit too heavy for use.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I have always wanted to make a wool cloak from old army blankets. Can't wait to se how yours turns out.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

I've made three cloaks where I took 2 army blankets and put them next to each other the long ways and cut a half circle and sewed them together. This worked good but I felt like there may have been a lot of waste. However I'm thinking of trying a different way which would result in less material and weight. I was thinking about taking one blanket folding it in half the long ways where i fold each side so that they meet in the middle. I would then trim the top so that it would fit the angle of my shoulders better and then cut out a neck hole and add a hood. I hope this makes sense im bad at explaining things until I actually do it and see it. This way would still allow you to wrap the cloak full over your body at night but wouldn't be as heavy as a half circle of full circle design. Since its more tight fitting i also think that it won't get in the way as much either.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Somewhere on here I put up a post of my cloak that I made of stone grey military blankets. I think it's called the ultimate ranger cloak and I actually used a blanket and a half.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Daerir wrote:Somewhere on here I put up a post of my cloak that I made of stone grey military blankets. I think it's called the ultimate ranger cloak and I actually used a blanket and a half.
I read that and your cloak is what inspired me to duplicate the thing. Only in short and long lengths for cool and cold weather.
I learn so much from this forum!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I'm touched to have been an inspiration lol :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice