Getting started, old and new - kit photos in the woods

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Getting started, old and new - kit photos in the woods

Post by RikJohnson »

[quote="Elleth"Rik - neat! I'd love to see a picture. [/quote]

here they are. having a bit of trouble gettingthe pics to upload... working on it....
the small one I hung from a leather tab to have a micro-mirror at hand. the larger one I tried to be 'artistic' with the pic.
Not the Quarter for size comparison.

bty, the small one shows a corner of my 'Shadow Box" I got when I retired form the USAF. no big deal though one guy (who never served) had to gall to tell a gf of mine that I faked that.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

No pictures this time, but got the chance to put some real improvements to the test today -

A. Old "Armstreet" shoes finally pulled out of storage from my Ren Faire days. A little sloppy, but they worked quite well in the woods - I love being able to feel the earth so well! I still want some gaiters or winnigas or just taller boots to close up any ankles from all the creepy crawlies.

B. "Line 1" is stlll missing a little belt pouch, but I had a belt knife and coustille on one belt - worked pretty well, though I find the coustille is at that awkward point where it's too long and sword-hafted to feel like a knife, but too short / lacking tip presence to handle like a sword. It's so light and compact though it just disappears on the belt. Nice to have... but it feels sort of uni-functional and barely adequate for that function. I see why those of you w/seaxes are going that route.

C. "Line 2" - After experimenting with one-shoulder carry for the quiver, I've decided I really much prefer the two-strap "backpack" approach. So much more comfy than a single strap across my chest. Arrows are still riding a little bit high now though.. need to figure out what to do there.

D. "Line 3" - no blanket this time, but the wool mockup I threw together for a need-wallet *really* works well. I love the idea - there's not as much capacity as my old knapsack, but I think I can keep most of the critical stuff in there. The catch is not to make it *too* big for its intended use. I had along a fair-sized pewter porringer this time to stand in for an iron cookpan to see how it carried in there- it's not as capacious as a small boiler, but I think it will work okay for lightly roaming days.

So far, so good - pictures next time, I hope! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

edit..Rik, Im sorry I missed your post. Cool mirror! (and good on ya for earning that box. ;) )
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Finally got out again.. this time in close to full garb! Mostly colonial-inspired I had already, but still better than my usual jeans and top.

And I found a berry tree of some kind buried in our woods - I think they're edible, just need to ID it to make sure. If they are.. I'll be back soon for jelly fixings!

Lessons learned:

A. I love love love my linen shirt - it's got a renn-faire esque gathered scoop neck, but the sleeves and tail are like a men's 18 th. century shirt. I was toying with replacing it with a light wool blouse, but no.. if it's still too warm for that now, I'll stick with linen, just a more medieval pattern. Definitely need it in a darker color though. White stands out like a sore thumb.

B. I had braintan leggins and a woolen clout - I'd forgotten how much convenient those are. If memory serves, some variety of early medieval trousers came as seperate legs.. I think I might need to look into that for my final travelling outfit.

C. The armstreet shoes have molded to my feet over my various juants this year, are MUCH less slippery than I have any right to expect for a single thickness of leather as a sole, and have all the benefits of moccasins in the woods.. BUT don't let every little burr and prick through and actually last a season. I'm finding medieval shoes are the perfect compromise. The only problem mine have is that they're too short and let little burrs in. Probably going to replace them with these or similar -

http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/index.ph ... -high-shoe

D. knapsack-over-quiver, both with "backpack" style straps instead of a cross-chest strap works quite well. I think this is going to morph into something like a lightweight blanket or matchcoat lashed to quiver, necessities in a needwallet / pantry of some kind at the waist, and everything else left at home. We'll see.

E. Swords. Ugh. Too much weight, not enough utility. I've never read the RA series, but I see why the author went with the seax. Something in that realm might be a good idea. Bigger than my woods knife, more utilitarian than a sword, decent weapon in a pinch. Something between there and one of the colonial era "hunting swords" might be good, just not sure. I don't think I can bring myself to use a kukri, even if they do awfully resemble Greek swords. But somewhere in that mass/blade utility space is ideal I think.

F. And I'm starting to zero in on a useful "persona" for building a kit around. My ulterior motive for getting out this time was scouting the property for sugaring trees come winter - between that and bringing out some knotweed for the goats back home, I hit on "woodsmans' daughter" as the perfectly obvious tack I should have seen all along. More believable for ol' me than a Ranger, and it lets me get all gussied up and make a fun day of it when it comes time to thin out woods, clear brush from the trails, and so forth.

Wheee!

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Really interesting post! But no fair, saying you got out in almost full garb and then not putting up any kit photos!
Elleth wrote:B. I had braintan leggins and a woolen clout - I'd forgotten how much convenient those are. If memory serves, some variety of early medieval trousers came as seperate legs.. I think I might need to look into that for my final travelling outfit.
Chausses were single leg hosen that were worn up through the 14th century. I wear them, and I like them quite a bit. Historically, they were worn pointed to braies, which were effectively medieval boxers, so I don't know that that set-up would give you the same convenience, but I don't see why they couldn't be tied off to a breechclout or subligaculum.
Elleth wrote:C. The armstreet shoes have molded to my feet over my various juants this year, are MUCH less slippery than I have any right to expect for a single thickness of leather as a sole, and have all the benefits of moccasins in the woods.. BUT don't let every little burr and prick through and actually last a season. I'm finding medieval shoes are the perfect compromise. The only problem mine have is that they're too short and let little burrs in. Probably going to replace them with these or similar -

http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/index.ph ... -high-shoe
I have a pair of those. I haven't gotten to wear them as much as I would like, but I've done some walking in them and they seem sturdy and agreeable enough. They hit me about mid-shin, which is where my everyday work boots come up to, so I like that. I'm short, though, so on non-hobbit sized people, they might not come up that high.
Elleth wrote:E. Swords. Ugh. Too much weight, not enough utility. I've never read the RA series, but I see why the author went with the seax. Something in that realm might be a good idea. Bigger than my woods knife, more utilitarian than a sword, decent weapon in a pinch. Something between there and one of the colonial era "hunting swords" might be good, just not sure. I don't think I can bring myself to use a kukri, even if they do awfully resemble Greek swords. But somewhere in that mass/blade utility space is ideal I think.
I've had similar thoughts to this, and one thing that's come to mind is something in the style of a German messer. Darksword Armory makes one that looks half-tool, half-weapon: http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DSA1350BK

My favorite style of sword at the moment is the falchion, and I've got one I really like from Valiant armory, but lately I've been considering buying a Cold Steel Cutlass machete and replacing the hilt with something more medieval. That way I'd have something relatively inexpensive to carry in the woods that I could use as a tool while still having the appearance of a sword. Or I could just get an axe.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)