tang-arrowheads

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

tang-arrowheads

Post by RikJohnson »

Here is a thought.. don't know if it will work but...

When making self-nocks, many people cut a notch in their shaft and glue a hardwood wedge to add strength to the shaft before cutting the nock.

what about doing the same thing for the point end, then cutting a steel head with tang.
it would be made exactly the same as a nock save you'd fill the nock with the tang to a broadhead?

thoughts??

I have all the tools I need to do that, can even make the heads from scrap steel, I just need to know if it is workable and what better place to ask than here?
Surely someone has tried that?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: tang-arrowheads

Post by RikJohnson »

Perhaps I should expand on this.
Yes, I know that many medieval arrowheads were tanged so the project is doable.
BUT...
those arrowheads were designed for war, one-time-use where you put the shaft into someone and when they tried to pull it out, the head came free and remained inside the wound (pre Geneva Convention).

I am wondering about the feasability of the entire arrow being used and reused.
preferably NOT having a guy-with-a-badge walking up and citing you for an illegal hunting arrow because some law prevents leaving a head in a wounded animal.
..."what do you mean you aren't hunting? why wear green clothing and carry a bow in the woods unless you are hunting?"

I'd probably have to make a wing on the tang to keep the head on the shaft.
Something like the trade-points given to American-Indians during the peaceful times.

BTW, off topic, I saw a great video on Youtube (url forgotten) where someone put a broadhead through a vest of ballistic kevlar.
Apparantly, the designer worried about stopping low-velocity lead bullets, not sharpened broadheads which cut through kevlar like cloth.
Of course, I told my people "remember that your flak-vest was made by the lowest possible bidder who didn't get rich by producing quality armor at a low price"
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Heres an Idea! The typical glue on broadhead is just fit over a tapered shaft correct, the only thing holding it is glue. What if on the part that goes over the shaft, a form of pin or needle that is put down in the wood, of course you would probably have to predrill a hole in the shaft but this is just a random idea.

Another thing to look at would be this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3u_Eg2-N_c Now these arrowheads were kinda made for fun, but Im sure you could follow his steps making a serious one.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have a dozen tanged broadheads which I use for hunting. I use them with ash shafts with the slot perpendicular to the grain, like the nock, so no inserts on these. I use artificial sinew to bind the tanged points on with some glue in the slot. I have yet to have one come off the shaft, since I built them not to, and I do have an arrow spoon...which I haven't had to use yet.

If you want to use tanged heads with softer arrow shafts, such as cedar, then certainly use inserts or make a footed shaft with the forward third a hardwood attached to the softer cedar in back. It really depends on what you want to use. Experiment!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!