HIstory Channel's Expedition Africa

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

HIstory Channel's Expedition Africa

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Is anyone else in the group a fan of the show, 'Expedition Africa'? Four modern day explorers are attempting to make the same journey that Stanley did to find Livingstone. So far no one has managed to get killed yet. 8) It's actually a very interesting show and you can learn a thing or two if you're not careful.

http://www.history.com/expedition/episode-5/
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: HIstory Channel's Expedition Africa

Post by Peter Remling »

I watched the first 2 episodes. Most of it was farily good. Can't stand the "Reality Show" aspect, where as soon as possible they all privately condemn everyone else. Too many Alpha personalities in the group.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I wouldnt give a tea spoon of rat pee for most of those folk, but I think I would get along with the Masai! They seemed like great people. I really admired them for temporarily abandoning the expedition to pull that cow out of the mud, while the white folk would've walked off and left her to die.

You also never saw the Masai get to ride the Subaru, expeditions are so much more authentic without a subaru....It was kinda like re enacting Williams mounted assaults at Hastings with Harley-Davidsons and M-16's....It just looked out of place somehow :lol:

I also admired they way they never let go of their spear and shield! Even on the boats, they clung to their weapons. Those are the folk I would want to see Africa with. 8) "Soldiers of the community", Wes Hal!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

The Masai are pretty cool, and yup, me and the Masai would have just kept on walking while the rest of them argued. Since Subaru sponsored the show, you know they had to have their product placement. I wonder if they build boats too... :lol:
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:The Masai are pretty cool, and yup, me and the Masai would have just kept on walking while the rest of them argued. Since Subaru sponsored the show, you know they had to have their product placement. I wonder if they build boats too... :lol:
No, but they are going into the pet business so you can pick up one of the snakes, crocs, hyenas and lions that they repeatedly showed out of context.

I just saw the last 2 episodes this morning. I stand by my original thoughts, too much "Reality TV" too little substance.