Some relatively new knives from Ringulf

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Some relatively new knives from Ringulf

Post by Ringulf »

These are a few of the peices I have been working on lately to exersise some of the new techniques, many of which have been learned right here from posts on this forum!
I started wanting to go beyond the Polymer handled blades (though they are quite popular due to their affordability and durability) They were the first step in my knifemaking journey.
I have been carving and sculpting for many years in wood and bone and many forms of clay, so I knew if I could learn some of the techniques of fitting natural materials to my blades it would be my next step to making quality weapons.
I am working with a gentlman in the SCA (he is a Laurel for those of you in the SCA, a crafting mentor for those of you who are not) and he works in bone and horn, wood and metal. He has been teaching me about casting and carving so I hope to be able to show you some very cool things as I learn more.

This is Lady Melbrigda of Oak Glenn with her seax who's name is the Hedgethorn or good old "Thorny" as we refer to him. Thorny is the hedgehog who sits as a pummel I carved from a very solid peice of hickory, One of my broken axe handles I believe)

I will post this and then put up the others in the continuation of the thread
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Some relatively new knives from Ringulf

Post by Ringulf »

This next little seax was made from the tip of the blade I made Mels seax from. She wanted it a certain size and the blade I made it from had enough to let me get this little sheepsfoot worker and it's tang without affecting the broken back style of Mel's.
Of course it needed a nice pocket sheath to reflect it's Nordic roots.

The next peice is my rendition of a Dwarven axe dagger that I named Gullenbursti for the mythical pet of Frey. It is kinda feral in it's nature, but again it was teaching me the casting in place skills on bone. The sheath was fun to do and ultimately this went as an SCA Thrown weapons prize to a spunky young lady that hit my 3D Gullenbursti target the most. One had to roll a gigantic six sided dice and that would determine how many spear you could throw, but then you had to hit it too! (the pig was all about the Norse reveered quality of luck! As well as skill)

This last one folks on the forum have seen throughout its making, however when I was able to cast the bolster behind the crossguard it turned into a vastly different blade and I now call it a Dwarven Mountain Seax. It is still a work in progress and the scabbard is still changing. I have plans of making a new one that is more like something you might see in the Hobbit Movies. Dark and dwarvenly ornate possibly with a wooden core.

Well that is it for right now, stay tuned more coming soon! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

All of the peices in this thread have been natural materials. I have been really working on using the real material rather than working in my comfort zone of making it look like the real thing. In a lot of ways though, it is a heck of alot easier to make the real thing look like the real thing than it is to make something else resemble it! :mrgreen:

OH and BTW I am sorry I did not get pictures of the blade on Mel's seax. I put a runic inscription on it to her and she wanted it to stay in the sheath.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK so...you knifemakers out there, I was looking for some thoughts, comments, observations?...

I know the work is kind of remedial, but if I don't get feedback there will be less growth. You all have been very kind and uplifting when giving compliments and I must admit they are always heartwarming to hear, but I can take the constructive critisism as well! :D

(We dwarves are not fragile you know :mrgreen: )
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Personally, I think they're all horribly flawed and you...um...need to send them to me for...um...proper disposal. Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I'm really liking your work. :)
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Most excellent knives Ringulf. I look forward to seeing them in person.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Those knives look great. Nice work.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Why would you say that your work is remedial? It's inventive and executed with great craftsmanship.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I guess it is all relative.
I look at some of the other smiths on the site that I look up to Like Eric and Odigan and Avery as well as many others and I find my work to be very much inferior, but you have to walk before you run and I never have minded being new to something and having to grow into it.
When my skill level reaches my level of artistry I will be able to do some really good peices, but for now, I just keep learning.
I like to challenge myself to do things I have not learned how to do yet. That makes me research and experiment till I get it.

I wasn't trying to demeen myself or do the false humility thing. I just have a good idea of were I am and were I would like to be. :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I so know the feeling! You're working on something, and it doesn't look as good to your eyes as the work of masters, and you ..just..can't...figure out why! :)

Here's a couple things I spot -

1. All pieces, but here is where I notice it -

The sheath is missing edge burnishing, so it looks a little cruder/unfinished than one with slicked edges to the leather. Burnishing also nicely evens up places where the leather pieces don't *quite* line up. (I LOVE the pattern on this sheath by the way!)

2. Looking here -

Only one row of stitching means there's a "dotted" effect along the edges. Running another row of stitching through the same holes will not only make it stronger, it will have the visual effect of smoothing out the seam. You see how around the open lanyard point the stitch wobbles a bit? Filling in all those gaps with a second line of stitching visually "connects" the dots so the line will look straighter. It's not a miracle technique, but it gives you a little more breathing room for the inevitable "oops" in punching stitching holes.

(This particular sheath might look better a little darker as well, but that's pure judgement call)

3. Modern leather finishes and hardware. This is the biggest tell between "Renn Faire" grade work and the look of deep authenticity. Modern rivets and ESPECIALLY snaps just stand out like a sore thumb. For an contrasting example, look at this piece:

See how the hanging rings on the sheath aren't tandy o-rings, but are custom cast? How they have a unique cross section and weighting? They don't look like they came out of a modern hardware store, they look like some Norseman popped them out of a mold hundreds of years ago. I see you're already doing pewter casting on your handles, so I bet this is a leap you could easily make, and will put you leaps and bounds above us leather folk who don't/can't work in metal.

Also see how that maker treated the sheet brass - it's darkened and roughened up a bit, so it doesn't look like it just came off the craft aisle at the hobby shop. The pricked pattern really brings it alive as well.

On the finish side, here's a very simple sheath finished with beeswax. It might not look so different in the photo, but once you've held both types in your hand, it's the kind of thing you "can't unsee."
Fielbing's finishes always read modern renn-faire after that.

4. Artistic style
I LOVE your carvings - Thorny especially is adorable! :)

That said, your carving style looks Folk Germanic-American. It's GREAT - but if you're going for "looks old / belongs in Middle Earth" it pulls the emotional feel of the piece closer to the modern world. That's PURELY an aesthetic choice based on what you're going for. I think you'd enjoy trying your hand in an older vernacular - something like this from Powning -

In the same sense painters deliberately copy the old masters to learn the subtleties of their art, I think you might enjoy combing through Powning's site and setting out to copy the carvings of one of his pieces.

5. materials/time. The biggest difference between enthusiast work and professional work lies in the quality of materials and attention to boring detail.
The carving on this piece is great -

.. it could be a trick of the light, but the edge bevel looks modern, the steel flat stock, and the blade surface still has a few scratches from the grind process.

The same idea exactly - but executed on say a pattern welded / damascus billet, given an even appleseed bevel, polished down to a mirror, then oxidized back to a flat surface would make a world of difference. Anything that looks like "chisel edge ground on an even thickness of rolled steel" tends to read modern - an even transition of thickness from spine to edge reads more old-time handmade.

Gosh, after all that I hope it doesn't sound nitpicky. I love love LOVE your work :) :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks so much for the tips and critique!
Some of these I have done from peice to peice and aside from the Mountain seax sheath (that is really a wip I was not sure I was even staying with), I do use a saddle stitch most of the time.
The finishes do need some investment in more period techniques, I have not dipped too far in there yet and it is high time I do. I have yet to do some of the nicer brass work such as the Gotland seax sheath but it is on the drawing board. and finally burnishing is one thing I need to do more consistantly. It realy does fininsh a peice properly.
My carving was taken from another genre entirely. I used to carve decoritive birds and they were highly realistic. I have had to relearn some of the more rustic carving and "whittling" styles to move back toward primatives. I enjoy doing research on period designs and Powling, Potter, Delguardia and more have been a great inspiration in doing modern or original work with period mindset.
Once again thank you for your input please feel free to jump in with these types of obsevations and suggestions, they are so helpful, I love them and can only improve from them. :mrgreen: