Kvasir's Howe

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Kvasir's Howe

Post by Ringulf »

Well I finally completed the Art/sci entry that I have been working on for a while. You have seen it in snippets and clips on my belt and such for a while now. It is a small drinking Horn that was given to me by a Laurel in Norse Studies who lives here in New Smyrna. She though I might have fun doing some carving on it as I told her I was interested in the medium. I have done a few horns in between, the raven horn and a wedding horn but this one kept stalling me as I needed to learn certain casting techniques to complete it.
As I was working on it in April during the Celtic fair a gentleman offered me enough (unfinished) to pry it away from me, on the condition I could show it in competition when done.

So There are a lot of pictures of it and I think I will just give you the link rather than post them here. I enjoyed this emensely and will be doing many more, so if you like what you see and ever desired a drinking horn let me know! :mrgreen:

Kvasir's Howe

This album is a visual documentation of a horn I have been working on as an entry into the SCA Arts and Sciences competition. The name of the peice is called "Kvasir's Howe". Kvasir was slain by the two Dwarves Fjallir and Gallir and his blood was used to brew the "Meade of Poetry". The Giant Settung recieved it from the two Dwarves and set his Daughter Gunloed to guard it. When Odin's Ravens Hugin and Munin told Odin of it, he went to steal it, seducing the giantess for a taste and swallowing all of it in one draught. Odin then changed into an eagle and flew back to Asguard, but not before Stettung turned into an eagle himself and flew in pursuit. The Asguadians killed Settung and Odin spit the meade into a great cauldren, but a few drops fell to Midguard and upon a few lucky mortals, giving them the ability to be poets, artists and skalds. So now you know who Kvasir is, and a Howe is what the Norse called their graves. A kenning is a Norse way of not calling something by it's true name but by a clever title like calling the sea "The Whale Road". My Kenning is the peice's name, for I do enjoy my meade! The major players are on the horn, find them if you can!

https://www.facebook.com/scott.brown.56 ... 792&type=1

(Pictures are by my Honeybunch Ranger Brandwyn MKA: Stella Brown)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Kvasir's Howe

Post by Manveruon »

For some wacky reason the album isn't showing up. I'm very eager to see it!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Don't know why Brother, it is comming up here.
But if you want another alternative jump on my Deviant Art page you have it but for those who don't it is: http://mica1323.deviantart.com/
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

There we go! That turned out beautifully! Very nicely done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

An interesting developement! it looks like I get to keep the horn after all! The man who bought it (unfinnished) was contacted that it was done when I put the info up on August 1st and I was wondering why he was not getting back to me. Seems he sent word of his excitement and wanting to get it asap and it never showed up on my computer.
Got a heated message today letting me know that he was backing out. Ah well, the ups and downs of selling artwork!
There is one fella I won't be getting a Christmas card from....but now I won't have to worry about not putting the horn in the competition Labor Day weekend! :mrgreen: