Planning my first leather project

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Planning my first leather project

Post by bjaurelio »

I've been considering trying my hand at leatherworking to make myself a quiver. My inspiration is something of a mix between what Aaragorn and Legolas use in the movies. I've also drawn a little inspiration looking at some quivers others on the forum have made. Since I'm workin from home today, I made a small scale rough mockup with used printer paper. The next step, as had been suggested elsewhere will be to use posterboard for a scale mockup.

However, when it comes to purchasing leather and supplies, I'm a little bit at a loss of where to begin. My main areas of concern are tools, types of stitching recommended, and straps/bucles. Even if all you do is point me to some youtube videos, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Planning my first leather project

Post by Peter Remling »

Just like any hobby, Leather working can be very expensive. Start small and see if you like it before investing a ton of money. Many tools can improvised from things you already have. A single punch chisel can be made from a finishing nail. Want a four prong chisel ? try cut down and sharpening a common steel fork.

Clothes pins make decent clamps when waiting for leather cement to set. Don't have a wood mallet to punch holes ? Take a piece of garment weight leather and wrap it over a regular hammer head. Replace it as it wears out.

This post seems to cover all the basics :

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-lea ... ck-quiver/

Good luck and have fun.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.distantdrumsonline.com/servl ... Categories

I got some very good leather from these people for making my Roman gear. The prices are pretty good, and they are quick.
You can't take the sky from me.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

bjaurelio wrote:I've been considering trying my hand at leatherworking to make myself a quiver. My inspiration is something of a mix between what Aaragorn and Legolas use in the movies. I've also drawn a little inspiration looking at some quivers others on the forum have made. Since I'm workin from home today, I made a small scale rough mockup with used printer paper. The next step, as had been suggested elsewhere will be to use posterboard for a scale mockup.

However, when it comes to purchasing leather and supplies, I'm a little bit at a loss of where to begin. My main areas of concern are tools, types of stitching recommended, and straps/bucles. Even if all you do is point me to some youtube videos, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
I had never really done any leather work and jumped in at a making a quiver. There are pictures posted around here somewhere. One cheat I used is to SLOWLY drill through the leather with a small drill bit, instead of punching holes. Now that I have a drill press, it's even that much easier.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

Straelbora wrote:
bjaurelio wrote:I've been considering trying my hand at leatherworking to make myself a quiver. My inspiration is something of a mix between what Aaragorn and Legolas use in the movies. I've also drawn a little inspiration looking at some quivers others on the forum have made. Since I'm workin from home today, I made a small scale rough mockup with used printer paper. The next step, as had been suggested elsewhere will be to use posterboard for a scale mockup.

Thanks,
Brian
I had never really done any leather work and jumped in at a making a quiver. There are pictures posted around here somewhere. One cheat I used is to SLOWLY drill through the leather with a small drill bit, instead of punching holes. Now that I have a drill press, it's even that much easier.
Yep I use my yankee driver to drill holes rather than punch with an awl. Though there is a good argument for using an awl. With a drill your cutting the fibers, but an awl is pushing them out of the way. In the long run awl holes should last longer than drilled holes and be stronger.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

bjaurelio wrote:Even if all you do is point me to some youtube videos, any help would be appreciated.
Ask and ye shall receive.

From Tandy, though remember they are trying to sell products.

Really good youtube leatherworker I would recommend checking his other videos out.

another one of his videos specifically about the tools.

Beginner tools set up

another from the same youtuber as previous video

If you go on youtube you can find a ton of good videos, something you might want to do too, is watch what different tools are actually used for. Many might not even be necessary for your uses.

Things like a strap cutter, beveller, stitch groover, metal straight rule, mallet, cutting mat, wheel knife, exacto/craft knife, and others are pretty universal. But tooling stamps and many other things might not really be necessary to start with and might also not be what your looking for. Not to mention tooling stamps can cost a fortune. So something to really consider is the function of the tool and if you actually need it. For example, burnishers are nice but it is an easy thing to DIY with a piece of wood or plastic you already have. Just like you can make stitch marks with a fork or metal comb, hell you can even yes free hand holes for stitching. While it would not look perfect and modern, if your going for period looking work, then it would actually look more like what one would expect to see in Middle Earth or other fantasy realms except on the most noble and costly items.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Thanks everyone for the tips and links. I'm considering making my one tool purchase to be a multi thonging chisel that has 3 different sizes of 3 prong and 1 prong. It's $20 and will give me even spacing much faster than measuring out with a ruler. I already have sewing needles. A ruler plus anything with a point can give me the seam line. I'm not a huge fan of thick leather lacing, so I only plan to use thread with a saddle stitch, which I've watched videos on how to do.

The one problem with starting with a quiver is that it's too big for the small craft rectangle cuts, but it's not big enough to use a really large piece. I've found a single shoulder sold by 5 sq ft at Springfield Leather for $5.79/ sq ft. That's quite a bit cheaper than Tandy's single shoulder. I assume the 5sq ft is an estimate to be updated with the size of the actual piece. Adding dye, thread, and a buckle brings my cart up to about $65.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Last night I created the basic quiver pattern out of cardboard. What are everyone's thoughts? The circumference of the bottom is 12" and 15" at the top. Is this a little too big or just about right? I keep alternating back and forth between keeping that size and narrowing it by 2 inches?

I plan add some strapping to include a pair of 3/4" horizontal buckled straps at the top and bottom of the quiver for attaching my bow and other itmes. To help keep bags/knives/miscellaneous itmes from flapping around, I also will do a pair of crossing straps similar to Aragorn's quiver in the movies. The leather and supplies should arrive Tuesday.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3PGlm ... sp=sharing
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice! Looks quite stable!

For what it's worth, I'd recommend practicing your punch/sewing on a pouch cut from your scrap first, just to get used to the process without risking the spendier big chunk of leather.

How are you going to be finishing it? Will you be using any buckles or other hardware?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That size will probably hold 24-36 arrows. You may want to cut
it down a little. Try reversing the higher end of the quiver to the middle of the back, it currently looks like you'll have difficulty draw your arrows otherwise. You could also lower it on your back so the top of the quiver isn't quite as high.

Looks like a fun project ! Good Luck !
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

The hardware I have is a buckle for the main 2 quiver straps. The side strap will have a leather loop for the main strap to go through similar to Andy's quiver. I also have 2 smaller buckles for strapping around the quiver to hold items to it.

24-36 arrows is definitely more than I need. I really do think I will be cutting down the size a little. Actually, the higher end in the middle will make drawing more difficult. That's what the last picture shows is that the tip of the arrows come out on the middle side of my back.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nicely done!
I am looking forward to following this project as you go please keep up the good work and the great photos!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Thanks for the compliments. I stained the leather last night. It's now a bit dry and stiff. I did not expect this and will need to get leather conditioner. Should I wait until I have it to start sewing, or does it matter?
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

looking good
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'