It's been a good long while... PIC HEAVY

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

It's been a good long while... PIC HEAVY

Post by Eothain »

Greetings, rangers! I realized I have been away for quite some time now, though not in dormancy. I have made quite a lot of updates to my kit, and have also learned quite a bit along the way. I figure it is time for an update, more of a cosmetic update. The little details of my pack are still a bit modern, such as containers and arrow knocks. The smaller details aside, I truly feel like my kit has started to come together. I went through countless styles and sewing projects trying to nail down something that was practical and looked good, and most of all comfortable. After long ponderings and taking in the natural conditions of the woods I roam, I finally found my solution in comfortable, practical, and good looking, if I do say so myself.

As a side note: Damn trying to wear long cloaks in Missouri woodlands.... it just doesn't work. You spend more time fighting with the snagging plants and repairing the cloak itself than it is worth it. At first I thought it would be good to combo a woolen cloak as a blanket, but the river woodlands I trek through did not agree. They helped me to realize how nice a cowl/mantel/shoulder-cloak/thingy would be more efficient.

All of my rambling aside, please enjoy some photos!

the beginnings of a good path

A look at my pack and pouches from the back

When weariness weighs heavy on your reluctant photographer, humor may restore her morale!

A beautiful, retired quarry... TIME TO CLIMB!!!

My bedroll begins to argue as we stride uphill...

A beautiful view we have found

Is there an Orc among us?!

Thoroughly enjoying this view

Have we recruited a follower? I think not.

Reluctantly returning home, hooded and hungry

That is my update, I look forward to replies and critiques. Thank you! :)
Last edited by Eothain on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Eothain

Re: It's been a good long while... PIC HEAVY

Post by Eothain »

Oh and just to keep this in perspective on a comparative level, attached is a picture of my kit when I first started trying to put an outfit together... I believe Addreonynn had posted this before I joined, but I just thought I would attach it to this topic for a comparative element.

...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

thats a nice looking kit , very well done. is that the Darksword Ranger sword?
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thank you for your compliment, Grimwulf! You have a good eye, indeed it is the Ranger sword from Darksword Armory.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Very nice. Wish Louisiana had woods as beautiful as those. Where I am, there are only swamps and very thick woods where hardly any sunlight gets in.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Clearly you have been busy in your absence, Eothain, and it shows - your garb has improved 1000%! 8)
I (and others here too, I'm sure) would love to read a breakdown of clothing and gear as you have it. It looks like you have a variety of Items hung around your belt. What are they all?
For a constructive criticism, from what I see, it looks like you have simply whip-stitched the opening of your hood? A humble suggestion: a blanket stitch would still keep the edges from unraveling, but would also look more professional. If (as it looks) the bottom of your mantle was cut on the bias (diagonally), then you will definitely want to blanketstitch that edge.
Good work!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Udwin wrote: I (and others here too, I'm sure) would love to read a breakdown of clothing and gear as you have it. It looks like you have a variety of Items hung around your belt. What are they all?
I second that! I would love to know what you have in your kit.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Good to hear from you, and love the pics! How was the weight distribution with your bedroll, quiver and pouches? Cloaks are best for staying warm and looking awesome in taverns, I think :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, for starters...WOW.

INCREDIBLE difference from before. I cou;dn't quite place where I'd seen you before, though I recognized the forum name. Cutting the hair, plus the dramatic kit improvements? Never would've guessed you were the same guy. All that work paid off.

I'll second Udwin's comments re: blanket stitch. 'Tis awesome.

Now, for serious:
YOUR BOW. DETAILS. NOW. Nock-to-nock length, material, draw poundage, and where it came from. These things, I require immediately.

Good show, man! Hope to see this in person sometime soon.
Last edited by Greg on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Great kit, and impressive scenery. I agree on the whole cloak thing, they really aren't for tramping around in the brush. While you do see baggy sleeves and long tunics on hunters in medieval illustrations, you never see them with cloaks on.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 43a71c.jpg
This guy has his hood on, and mittens,,but no cloak.
You can't take the sky from me.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Greetings and fair travels indeed. I had thought that was a darksword Ranger...how's the weight? Pics look good, looks like your first attempt was almost Legolas looking but still good, I see we ditched the long locks though...there are days I'm so tempted. Good stiuff, nice location, I'm good without the snake though
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This is just... holy cow... so, SO GOOD. I'm in the same exact boat as Greg: recognized your username, but couldn't place from which posts I remembered you, until you showed the "before" picture. Now, not to belittle the work you put into your original kit (which really was an excellent start, and in many ways was better than what most of us start off with), but this incarnation really is just a phenomenal improvement in basically every way. You look AUTHENTIC. Which is a word I don't use lightly.

I too would be quite interested in a break-down of your kit, and some of the more technical aspects of it (weight of the sword, how your pack system holds up to long use, info about the bow, etc.), and I would also strongly advocate the use of a blanket stitch on the hood - plus, blanket stitches just look cool, in my opinion. I've used a blanket stitch on nearly every piece of my garb for a while now actually, heh.

Which brings me to another point: that hood looks familiar. Did you happen to use the rough pattern I put up a loooooong while back as a basis? Because what you've got looks an awful lot like my own hood. Just curious.

Anyway, once again... DAAAAANG. Nice stuff, man. Nice stuff.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh, and regarding the bow: is it PVC? Because I have a suspicion that it is, but I can't be certain. if so, it's a beautiful PVC bow in every way. Any *normal* person wouldn't be able to tell it was PVC, but I think we've established that very few of us around here can really apply that word to ourselves, haha. If it's not PVC,then it's got to be one of the nicest little wooden recurves I've ever seen, and I am very curious as to where you got your hands on it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Raziel Alastor wrote:Very nice. Wish Louisiana had woods as beautiful as those. Where I am, there are only swamps and very thick woods where hardly any sunlight gets in.
Yeah, there are VERY thick woods here as well, but thanks to a pretty large river that runs through my area, and it's potential flooding , there are really quite beautiful, and clear spots to trek. On the other hand the neck of the woods Addreonynn always tends to convince me to go through has chest high razor leaf that not only stings, but makes the skin it touched burn like no other. So there is a very nice half and half with the forestry in this area. All that aside, thank you very much for your compliment!

Udwin, thank you very much for your compliments! I may eventually make a breakdown of my kit, though I do wish to legitimize all of the small details contained within before I do so. In response to your blanket stitch suggestion, I may try and restitch my mantle at some point, and honestly I made this the night before I went out for pictures, but I have been hand-sewing like crazy lately and I feel I need a bit of a break from it, haha! Thank you again for your response!

Mirimaran, I can happily say that by the end of this 4 hour hike I was in no way sore! I was a bit on my left hip this morning, but I believe it is because of how I carry my sword, and it's wide, heavy hilt. I am usually more fond of long cloaks but have taking a liking to the shortness of this one, it stays out of my way, haha! I am thinking on making a good winter cloak soon, but it is a project for later.

Greg, thank you very much for your compliments! It was definitely a lot of thought and work and much of this outfit I completed in the last few weeks. About the bow, It is a product of Bows of the Risen Sun that I picked up about a year ago at a Kansas Faire. It was crafted out of Rattan, and the weight is about 40 lbs. I just got tired of packing my 5 foot longbow around, and it's weight is around 55 lbs, and because of my skinniness it doesn't allow me to shoot for more than an hour. Again, thank you for your reply!

Wulfgar, I was actually inspired by hunters of medieval times, and of course.... Aragorn, HA! And as I began to think with common sense I figured that of course light materials snag and fray very easily in the wild, but I needed something that would cover my legs and such. So that's when I looked through pictures on here and on google of rangery things. And then decided to make the long close front suede tunic. A good mix of a long coat, such as Aragorn's riding jacket and historical tunics. Thank you very much for your compliments!

Rifter, I am in love with my sword! haha! Though it is a bit heavy, around 5 lbs 5 oz. I fight with a defensive, counter style and the sword, in my opinion, very much compliments that with it's heftiness. And yeah, I had to get rid of my hair, Missouri weather is much too humid and unforgiving in the summer days. And that snake caught me very much by surprise. I was heading to a beautiful patch of evergreens where the forest floor is carpeted completely in moss. I would have continued, but due to darkness impending and my photographer figuring "If we found one, there's more" we headed back home. The snake itself stayed quite calm for me stepping quite literally over it, and, in my opinion, is a quite beautiful creature. Thank you very much for your compliments.

Manveruon, thank you very much for your compliments! Soon enough I hope to have finished the small details of my kit so that I may post a breakdown of it. I may restitch the hood, but my hands have grown very weary of hand-sewing, on account of the amount of clothing items I have made in the past few weeks. And you spotted my dirty secret... I in fact was inspired by your cowl/mantle and whipped up a pattern really quick. I wasn't aware you had posted a rough pattern of it, so I just eyeballed it and went to sewing. The bow is made of Rattan actually, and I purchased it at a Kansas Faire from Bows of the Risen Sun. I do believe they have a facebook page, but I think I remember the merchant stating that they don't sell shortbows online, only at Faires. Though it wouldn't hurt to contact them about it.

Sorry the reply to everyone is jammed into one post, but my bedtime draws near, and haste is somewhat required. Thank you all so very much for your replies, I really enjoyed reading them! And it makes me feel like my hard work has truly paid off. Thank you again!
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Apologies, I got the name of the company that made my bow somewhat wrong. Their name is Bows of the Risen Son... and I actually found their sight, wasn't hard to locate at all.

Here is the link: http://www.bowsoftherisensonllc.com/

I didn't realize they make a horse bow... now I want it!