Some of my latest work

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Some of my latest work

Post by Eric C »

Well, since my other project is on hold until I check out one of my gas forges, I'll most likely get back on this blade tomorrow after work. I'm going to start thinning it out a little.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Tonight after the day job, I was able to start grinding down a distal taper. This has started taking care of some of the problems with the fullers. It also has thrown a lot of the weight toward the tang. It isn't the prettiest at this time, but tomorrow after work, I'll try to get some pics of it.

I'll also be starting a new project that I will be videoing. It promises to be cool. 8)

I'll post the pics on my forge page on youtube which has a grand total of 0 videos so far. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hey Greg, I got the package today. Thanks! I'll put the items to good use. I guess you're trying to give me a subtle hint to get back on the helmet? :lol:

I have made progress on this piece, but I still haven't gotten good pics of it. I'll try playing around with my camera and see if I can do better
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I figured you and your son could have some fun with that little bit of maille. I'm trying to downsize the hoard...consider yourself exploited!

Glad you like the wenge...it'll be lovely wherever you use it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:I figured you and your son could have some fun with that little bit of maille. I'm trying to downsize the hoard...consider yourself exploited!

Glad you like the wenge...it'll be lovely wherever you use it!
I got plans already. :twisted:
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Good looking blade and I agree with Greg - has eket written all over it. Can't wait to see the finished product!
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

This is at the top of my "to finish" list now. I will need to add more distal taper to begin with. From there, I'm hoping to fix some of the problems with the fullers. Looking forward to this one.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so I've expended a lot of effort with little results up until recently on this blade. I have fought and fought with the fullers. Finally I took it to work and used the 3/4" wide wheel on my saw grinder to dig out the fullers. They are still a little crooked, but I think they are going to shape up some as I keep grinding and get ready for heat treat.

So that's it for the boring stuff. On with a couple of pics!

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Looking good, hope the heat treat goes well. Any plans for the hilt yet?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Not yet. I'll contact the customer and see if he has anything specific. We're thinking something Anglo-Saxon I think.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looking good!

For the record, that fuller's straighter than the fuller the Chinese forges put on my first-run VA Bristol...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I've seen a few sloppy fullers out there. Even my custom sword from a pretty reputable maker is a little flawed. It's better than this one, mind you, but it isn't totally straight. I have a new respect for those who put fullers in their blades now. That's for sure. But I won't give up after this one attempt. :)