Crossbow

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Crossbow

Post by RikJohnson »

Stick and String is selling this "medieval" for $175.

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with something like this?

http://www.stickandstring.com/man-at-arms-crossbow
Last edited by caedmon on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed URL
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Cinead

Re: Crossbow

Post by Cinead »

While I do not know anything about this particular crossbow, I do hunt exclusively with a medieval crossbow I built with parts from Slobows....250# prod and will blow thru anything short of a grizzly or bison...

I wouldn't hunt with that kit...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I wasn't planning to hunt grizzly or moose.

Most of our gear is for show. Yes it is should be useful and we should use it.
But if I am going "Ranging", I'm not hunting elk, I'll fish for dinner or hunt a rabbit for lunch. Something Period as a ranger would be mobile and having to figure out what to do with an elk or bear when you are supposed to be mobile and searching out the enemy is counter productive.

Thus, like my longbow, the crossbow would spend most of the time on the target range and maybe occasional varment hunting.

Since my only crossbows is an old Wham-O and a modern Barnett (the former has an aluminium bow and modified wooden stock, the latter a steel bow and fiber stock) I am looking for an affordable crossbow that looks period but will take down dinner if need be.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

You don't have to buy a new crossbow to get something more period-looking. I have a late-eighties wood rifle-style stock on a steel prod that I'm carving a new stock for, and the steel prod will be plenty legitimate. Look around at todsstuff.com to see some period-based examples with steel prods for some ideas. Fun and satisfying project!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Ah, well.....that is where I differ from most.....

I refuse to have a piece of kit that cannot take real use....none of mine is for show...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.