question on bows

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: question on bows

Post by Manveruon »

Ringulf hit it on the head, I'd say. Also, it's important to remember that the term "longbow" is not clearly defined, and never really has been. It doesn't necessarily have any direct correlation to the draw length of the bow, or to the length of the bow, nock-to-nock, but mainly that it is a straight bow (not a recurve) that is longer than a "short-bow" (which is also a debatable term). I have a 30" to 31" draw, myself, therefore I had to have a bow custom-made to my specifications so that I would not break it (which I have done to several other "stock" bows over the years, unfortunately). Furthermore, from what I understand (though I admit that I have an incomplete knowledge of the subject) there is some debate as to whether or not all or even most archers of the middle ages drew to an anchor point on their faces, versus an anchor point on their chests. Several period images do seem to show archers drawing to the chest rather than the cheek, which would cause the draw to be somewhat shorter.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: question on bows

Post by Kortoso »

Yes, I now call it a "Hobbit Bow". 3 Rivers Archery obviously has a large halfling clientele. ;)

Some information about this weapon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.