New tunic

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

New tunic

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Today I got my new tunic, a replica of this one from Moselund:
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/artic ... elund.html

Its done in "heathered blue" wool flannel and was made by Andrea Wakely of Twin roses designs: http://www.twinroses.com/index.html

Here it is: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6969/m ... front1.jpg
Last edited by R.D.Metcalf on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New tunic

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Right now just a cotton tee shirt :lol: Although I've got say I've worn it against my skin and its not at all uncomfortable. The material was pre washed cold on gentle and it got very full and soft.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It looks like a long-sleeved tunic torso combined with a surcoat bottom half. Very comfy and convenient! Never heard of that style before; I like it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really flipped for the moselund design
mainly because it was the only extant tunic I could find clearly made for a horseman. The side and front gores and slightly larger back panel make the tunic very roomy. It also offers alot of warmth for my legs for cool weather riding or walking, its 46" from neck to hem and the four gores make it drape with a slightly pleated effect when belted, while the larger back panel has a cape effect.

For those interested in Medieval Scandinavian tunics and surcoats look here: http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/artic ... ments.html

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I wanted a linen undertunic but decided to get the wool tunic while I had the money, I guess I'll be using a white long sleeved cotton tee shirt as my under layer....I know :lol: but thats the best I can do for now.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like your tunic! I hope it serves you well!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I believe Twin Roses did a lot of sales through Ebay about 5-6 years ago. Always stunning garments with excellent photography. I was always impressed. Well thought out and beautifully done.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Yeah Andrea and Garry are awesome folk to deal with, They also hold the distinction of being the only folk who could...or would take on this tunic design.

They made a loyal customer out of me. I've got some side work lined up so I'm going to commission my cloak from them as well. I really have to walk a thin line because of my sword commission.

The rest of my kit will have to be buckskin.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I think a lot of my kit is gonna be buckskin. I don't have the money to buy all the things I want/need but hopefully can get a family friend to start tanning and stuff again. Also looking for fabric locally (walmart, jo anns, and surplus city) for the rest.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett wrote:I think a lot of my kit is gonna be buckskin. I don't have the money to buy all the things I want/need but hopefully can get a family friend to start tanning and stuff again. Also looking for fabric locally (walmart, jo anns, and surplus city) for the rest.
So who's doing the sword and what design? or are you going to surprise us.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Pete, here is the concept art by Dave DelaGardelle of MAD Dwarf Worshop:

[img=http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6438/rohansword3.th.jpg]

The Blade is to be a pattern welded 130 + layer Geibig type 3 with modified 11th century cross and pommel with figured white oak grip and scabbard. The hunting scene has been ommitted but it was inspired by the Mogeltonder Horn. The Horseheads were inspired by original LOTR artwork, to which I added 3 mountains and an 8 point star and a Tyr Rune. The blade inscription reads "Hold Troth" in Anglo-Saxon runes. The horse head knotwork near the mouth of the scabbard was taken from a Danish harness mount.

Specs:
Grip length: 4"
Blade: 2 1/2" wide @ the base X 31 1/2" long/ Geibig type 3
Wrought iron fittings and the afore mentioned curly white oak grip and scabbard with iron bands and rings for suspension.

Just in case that thumbnail dont work heres a direct link: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6438/rohansword3.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add a link to MAD Dwarf Workshop, Here it is: http://maddwarfworkshop.com/index.htm
Last edited by R.D.Metcalf on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I blew it up to get a good look at the art work, very nice! When's the ETA?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Nice nice cant wait to see it complete.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"