New bow, and shield.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

New bow, and shield.

Post by wulfgar »

I received my new horsebow a few days ago, and today the weather was finally nice enough to go out and shoot it. I sold my longbow and got this because it fits my Roman impression.
It has a 60lb. draw, and shoots very nicely.
The first 4 arrows. My targets are extra fancy, dog food bags stuffed with Wal-Mart sacks.

I also recently finished my shield. It will be used for my Celt and Middle Earth Woodman impressions.
I used 1/4 inch birch plywood, backed with canvas and faced with wool. I painted it with flat exterior paint and sealed it with melted beeswax. It measures 16"x24".
I still need to edge it with rawhide.

This will be my core weapons kit for both Celt and Woodman, although to do eventually want a larger axe for the Woodman.
You can't take the sky from me.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New bow, and shield.

Post by Eothain »

Very cool new weapons! I just received a new "horse bow" today, the one from Bows of the Risen Son. I have to say, it is smaller than I expected, but despite the blustery winds beating through this valley village it handles quite well, and I am falling in love with it. New toys are always great! Have fun with your new additions to your armoury!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Shield looks good. Are you going to edge it with any reinforcements, like tabs or stitching? I was thinking the canvas might come loose or undone after some wear & tear.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

When i get more funds I am going to edge it in rawhide. I have not had any luck with the dog bone rawhide, so I am going to order the good stuff.
You can't take the sky from me.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

nice new kit
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'