sword project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

sword project

Post by RikJohnson »

Last year I was at the swap meet and saw the sword dealer selling a cheap chinese Celtic shortsword.
He wanted $30 but settled for $20 because, frankly, cheap chinese stainless....
BUT I wanted the hilt.

Kult of Athena had a Tinker longsword blade (OH2396) on sale so I snapped it up.
It arrived by UPS last night so I got the knob off the s/s and took the thing apart. Yup! as I suspected. Not only a rattail-tang but a short tang with a very poor weld attaching the bolt to the 1" tang.
Blade went into the junk pile, maybe I can make a gift for a friend who doesn't know any better..

The Tinker is much thicker so I will have to file the guard to fit the blade.
Then make a wood handle, oak? cherry?
finally a scabbard.

Something to do this weekend along with my bow projects.
need to re-epoxy my carriage bow and begin work on my horsebow.
Last edited by RikJohnson on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eothain

Re: sword project

Post by Eothain »

Sounds like you have a lot planned out! I just recently rehilted one of my swords, I may upload some pics of that soon. Have fun!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

can't wait to see how it turns out.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Yes, the handle does have a very Celtic look, much like Hanwei's Celtic Sword. Can't wait to see the finished build.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

PHASE II (spelling errors corrected on 12 Jan)
A LOT of careful filing on both blade and hilt and it fits!
the tang of the tinker blade was much heavier than the el-cheapo chinese blade so I had to file hilt bit by bit to get the tang to fit through the hilt.
here is the result.

Tomorrow the weather promises to be decent so I will choose some wood and begin on the handle.

once done, the sheath.
Last edited by RikJohnson on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

looking good. were u thinking of leather wrap the grip or staining the wood?
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

grimwulf wrote:looking good. were u thinking of leather wrap the grip or staining the wood?
I have not yet decided.

Here is the next phase.

I still need to finish the fit add the hanger and decide if it will be covered or stained or what. Maybe covered in leather at the ends of the scabbard and stained between???
Should I carve the handle and scabbard Or paint a decoration or what.

I had to add a horn bulb to the tip of the scabbard because it was a tiny bit short... you could barely feel the tip of the Tinker blade on the bottom so added something to decorate and protect it.
Later when the glue is dry, I'll polish the thing and consider making or buying some brass fittings for the scabbard.
I have some red sharkskin I'd love to add but... Period gets in the way<g>.

I also have to find that brass nut for the pommel. I put it someplace safe and it is too safe.

Also re-epoxied my carriage bow and made a few charcoal prefilters for my water filters and recalked the bulkheads in my kayak. With the 3-day weekend coming up, I really need some exercise. My pants are a bit tight from the holidays.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love how this is shaping up. I'd say leather-wrap is the way to go, on both the hilt and the scabbard, with some suitable decorative risers, etc. But then, I'm partial to that style. I do like the idea of only wrapping part of the scabbard and staining the rest.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'd suggest against carving, the pommel is intricate enough. A carved grip would make it too busy. Try staining the grip to match the scabbard when it's ready.

Looking great so far !
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Wow, really cool, Rik.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

that looks great. what are the stats now, blade , handle length . point of balance… I'm needing details lol how does it handle?
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

grimwulf wrote:that looks great. what are the stats now, blade , handle length . point of balance… I'm needing details lol how does it handle?
right now the only thing that is possible is the blade length.
everything else will change as I progress. As I finish the handle, it may lighten a bit which will shift the POB a tiny bit. I may or may not shorten the handle a bit or even replace the wood with another kind depending on my mood.
Plus, until I find the brass nut for the pommel, I am afraid to swing the thing as i put a temp-nut on to keep it together.

But when finished, I'll post this all.
you can check with KoAthena for the bare blade stats though.

My weekend plans fell through (Maria had wild bunny sex with her bf and reinjured her back and no one else wants to go kayak camping this weekend in the cold so I may spend the 3-days working on the sword.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

next phase.

Gave the handle and scabbard a final sanding then a light staining.
added leather wraps at a few stress points but may change them to a much darker leather. Or maybe even a sheet of leather?

I am still working on the hanger.
I have ideas but what would be more in Period for the Celts?

ideas?
thoughts?

sorry, I didn't have time to get any weights and measurements.
Daughter's mom is in Peru with her 'doctors without borders' thing saving babies so I am watching her house and demented grandmother and cat until she comes home.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Very impressive, bro!

Early swords were so short they could hang straight down without hindering walking. I don't know that this will be practical for this blade.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

What a fun project! This makes me want to do one similar.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”