sword project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: sword project

Post by RikJohnson »

I did not like the white wraps so I added a black border.

As best I could at this time, here are the stats:
Length of blade: 35 1/4"
Point of Balance: 2"
max width of blade: 2 1/8"
max thickness: about 1/8" (cannot find my micrometer)
total length: 42 3/4"
total weight: 3# 12oz.

I know the Celts used shorter swords but I hate leaf blades and wanted a long sword with a Celtic motif.
Like I converted my Valient blade into an Irish ring-pommel design.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Nice job Rik! I like the dash of fantasy postulation on what could have been done, while using the decorative elements of the anthropomorphic furniture. I am sure that it would be a very unique and interesting peice to carry. I would think a Dunlending Lord or cheiftan would carry a weapon such as this in M.E.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Beautiful work!! Though I love leafies, I like stabbies too!! Congratulations on your fine sword!
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

When I saw this my thoughts werw in line with Ringulf's. This sword, to me, definitely looks like something a Dunedain chieftain would wield.

Great work Rik!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eothain wrote:When I saw this my thoughts werw in line with Ringulf's. This sword, to me, definitely looks like something a Dunedain chieftain would wield.

Great work Rik!
Except for the fact that I said "Dunlending" chieftain. The Dunlendings are described being much as the Dean Contis with a very clannish, chariot riding, grudge keeping, Old Celt type flair.

Back in the day when I was deeply involved in MERP I got a supplement that was all about Dunland and the Dunlendings and it colored my thoughts of them ever since. (it was very well done, though I will admonish you all to heed iminent warnings that will surely come about relying too heavily on RP games lol) :wink:

The picture from the front cover:

Last edited by Ringulf on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Ah, my apologies, I read this when I was really tired, ha! Now I see what you meant.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.