Bow string

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bow string

Post by Eothain »

Alright, so not so long ago I purchased and received a very short bow, the "horse bow" from Bows of the Risen Son. The string it came with is a paracord string. I wish to replace it and after visiting my local archery store, I only left with worry. He has replaced both strings on my old nameless recurve and an "Elfin" bow from Bows of the Risen Son. The problem with this bow is that it is very short, and the poundage is high, and this guy says he can't help me out because he feels any of the string he could make me would give me a couple shots from the bow before it ended up in pieces. He said I should look around for someone to custom make a braided string out of Dacron, but his brow was still in the worry position when he gave me these instructions.

The thing is, I don't put too much of my trust into salesman... the fact of the matter is that they are there to sell a product and as long as the product works they made some money... if my bow were to break while using a new string, the seller of said string would not be to blame. So my question for the forum is... what Arda should I do??

Some specs on the bow:
String length - 33"
Draw weight - 48 lbs
Draw length - 23.5"
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Bow string

Post by Manveruon »

Huh... I wouldn't imagine you'd have any real trouble with a basic Flemish-twist dacron string. But then, I'm by no means an expert.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Looks like 3Rivers horse bow strings are too long, so another option is to contact a horse bow vendor,

like http://www.horsebows.com/index.htm

or http://www.salukibow.com/13.html
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Your shopkeep probably only supplies Fastflight strings. A dacron string has a bit of stretch, or 'give' to it, which helps absorb some of the shock of firing away from the limbs. A fastflight string has ZERO give, and as a result shoots a somewhat faster, flatter arrow (initially). Less give at the moment of release, and they can be thinner due to the more modern materials, so they're considered "high performance".

Bows essentially require strong tip (nock) overlays to support the additional impact of shooting with a fastflight string, so yours are not set up for it, and I wouldn't try it.

Get two of these. Great guy, makes a great string. I'm a repeat customer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-FLEMISH- ... 339c75e8b9
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks for the links guys! I think I will send an email out to the guy on ebay.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.