My New Horsebow Kit

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My New Horsebow Kit

Post by RikJohnson »

New Horsebow
Sometimes I think that I keep GIBow http://www.gibow.com/store/ in business. But really, can you have too many swords and bows and kayaks and books?
MREgi
This pic (to be uploaded later when the website is fixed) is the horsebow kit I purchased from GI Bow a few months ago. It is 50#@28” with a fiberglass limb and fine for a starter kit as I am a terrible bowyer. I can make the gear, but my bow-making skills need work.
I kept the kit for some time while I watched the assembly videos repeatedly, reread the instructions using a highlighter to mark the important passages and worked on my Celtic Sword (see that post here http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... 28&t=2920). I’ve had bows shatter on draw and would not enjoy having fiberglass shards driven through my face because I did something wrong in assembly.

Now Justin uses epoxy made for Pennsylvania which dries out in Arizona so I went to Ace Hardware with the kit and explained what I was doing and got some epoxy made for wood-fiberglass that would survive Arizona’s heat and lack of humidity.
Finally I started, put the video on the computer, watched a section, paused, worked on the bow, unpaused the vid and continued.

This is the bow assembled with the rough shaping and sanding and epoxy. Yes, JB is gray but who cares. Then I hung the thing under a heating vent to dry for a couple days. I deliberately chose slow drying epoxy.
After the epoxy was dried, the sinew put on, the final shaping accomplished, etc, I did a final sanding, added Tung Oil to the wood and began the process of covering the bow with leather.
I am not certain that I am happy with my choice of leather. I like the ‘poor mans’ image (over the image of a guy who spent $2k at the Ren-Faire for beautiful Garb he is afraid to wear in the field) but I love the artistry of other horsebows on the other sites. Well, I can always replace the leather in time.

I had made a thumb-ring a year or two ago just to see if I could. I’m glad I did now. Will replace that with a better bone or horn thumb-ring eventually. I made the arrows and quiver myself and covered it with brown canvas. I do have a leather quiver in progress. You will notice that the arrows are color-coded. Black thread is war-point, white thread is blunt for varmint (rabbits, etc) hunting, and white thread with striped cock feather is for broadheads.
This is my string (note, buy or make another) with my first-try thumb ring in a can to keep them dry.
Next is a cow-horn I am converting to a vambrace. An artist friend from Russia gave me the horn to tip my Longbow and there was enough left to make the vambrace. I have the holes marked and drilled, just need to make the straps.

It’s been raining here so haven’t had a chance to get to the range but….
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Re: My New Horsebow Kit

Post by RikJohnson »

Next Phase

Remember how I was’ happy with the leather covering?
I was at a thrift store checking out some knitting accessories for my daughter and saw a couple cloth belts. They were woven black & white in a pattern I liked so I got them for 75 cents each. At home I stripped the backing and used fake sinew from 3-Rivers to sew them on. Then added some black paint to the sayas (I’ll trim that paint in white when I buy some) and now I am beginning to be happy.

Here is the pattern:

Unfotunatly, I was repairing some antique chairs and threw my back out delivering the furniture so was unable to string the bow for these. No problem, I made this bow stringer which is two bolts attached to my workbench. I set the bow into the bolts and I take no real effort to push the far limb down enough to string the bow no matter what the power.

And here is the result. As I said, strained back so no full draw but I m also using my thumb ring on the string.

Almost finished.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Holy cow! That is a beautiful bow! Really cool how you ran into those belts, it turned out very well.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Eothain wrote:Holy cow! That is a beautiful bow! Really cool how you ran into those belts, it turned out very well.
It is freakishly amazing what you can find in a thrift store.
i also found, for $4, a canvas mattress cover! Once I waterproof the thing, it will be a blanket-cover for trekking.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job, Rik! I think the covering really sets it off, hope you feel better soon!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Mirimaran wrote:Great job, Rik! I think the covering really sets it off, hope you feel better soon!

Ken
I had better get well soon.
I have to teach a couple people how to kayak this saturday.
then next weekend, do a multi-day trip down the colorado.
I was hoping to take my canoe and do a range along the river but....