No stitch leather sheath

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

No stitch leather sheath

Post by man_of_tanith »

Moochin through pInterest i found this
http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knifesheath.html
I'm interested in the design as a simple knife carry option but I'm a little perplexed as to how the knife doesnt cut through the leather?
anyone made one before?
hows it work?
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: No stitch leather sheath

Post by Taurinor »

That's really interesting! I've never made one like that, but my guess is that it is for a single edged knife, and the edge of the knife faces the open "seam". The leather is sandwiched together by the bands, but there's not actually anything to cut. If it wasn't snug enough, the bands might get cut, but if everything is tight, it shouldn't.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

Seems like a field expedient way to replace a lost sheath. Probably not something to permanently use though.

Still really cool though. Thanks for sharing.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I tried this, because I had a little leather around and it looked neat. Overall, I agree with ineffableone - probably good for a temporary sheath. The issue that I had was that I like to push my knives into their sheathes a ways, so the friction keeps them in place. With this method, the tip was not tight enough, so it opened. I may have not made the slits tight enough, or this might just not be a good shape of knife for this style of sheath, but that is what I found. Wetting the leather and flattening it with a book or the like might help, but I don't think it would completely solve the problem.
Attachments
no sew knife sheath.jpg
no sew knife sheath.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 14347 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Seems to me like something that would work best with heavier, stiffer leather, and/or a different material altogether (like the birch-bark one they show on their site). Still, an interesting idea, if even simply for field replacements.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

These sheaths are quite similar to an old cowboy style holster design (though the holster does get stitched.

The Mexican loop holster, typically these days found with double or single loops but they did come in triple and more loops too.

An example of an old triple loop

Sort of makes me wonder which came first, these holsters or this knife sheath idea.

It also makes me wonder how effective these sheaths might be if they got some stitching. I don't see why this sort of sheath couldn't get stitched to make it more secure. It would make for a unique and interesting sheath style for a knife.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I could see applications for the holster type, with the stitching, for sword, axe and seax sheaths as well!
It lets you seperate the scabbard or sheath from the frog easily removing your weapons while keeping them protected, the Knife sheath made all from one piece of leather, is very clever and economical yet simply sewing, lacing or riviting the edge shut would turn it from a stop-gap measure to a functional sheath. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

It certainly wouldn't need much else to hold it together. If you wanted to make something like this out of birch bark in the woods because you need a replacement sheath, some natural cording to make the tip a little more secure would make it very effective.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Im gonna have a dabble myself and i may well end up stitchin it once its made as said its a unique sheath design if nowt else
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth