Arg brendan of FableBlades has done it again! Aduial

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Arg brendan of FableBlades has done it again! Aduial

Post by ineffableone »

Over on SBG he revealed his latest creation.

Aduial

For more info on this beauty and more drool worthy images visit
http://www.fableblades.com/Aduial.html
Eothain

Re: Arg brendan of FableBlades has done it again! Aduial

Post by Eothain »

Some very beautiful work there! Fableblades never ceases to amaze me nor disappoint. I find some of the design to be much like Darksword Armoury's not-so-recent release of a sword they call "Wolfsbane" - the split pommel, carvings in the handle and thing guard.

...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

The difference, Eothain, being that Brendan at Fable had been doing things like that since he started and the Darksword example that you shared is newer. The pommel style is new, but he's been doing carved grips since the beginning. Also, the person that collaborated with Brendan wanted that shape.

We have to be careful when alluding to one maker being influenced by another. :-)
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Yavion wrote:The difference, Eothain, being that Brendan at Fable had been doing things like that since he started and the Darksword example that you shared is newer. The pommel style is new, but he's been doing carved grips since the beginning. Also, the person that collaborated with Brendan wanted that shape.

We have to be careful when alluding to one maker being influenced by another. :-)
yep, covered what I was going to say pretty well there.

I would also point out the split pommel is not a new concept, it has been done many many times in fantasy swords and knives. Kit Rae has done it numerous times. It is just not heavily seen in functional swords.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Yavion wrote:The difference, Eothain, being that Brendan at Fable had been doing things like that since he started and the Darksword example that you shared is newer. The pommel style is new, but he's been doing carved grips since the beginning. Also, the person that collaborated with Brendan wanted that shape.

Re reading my post above, it could look like I'm calling you out. I want to be clear that I'm not doing that.
I only wanted to point out that the discussion of "who did what first" often leads to some unhealthy chatter and hurt feelings and I know that's now what we're about. I also know from reading your previous posts on this forum that that's not what you're about either.

I'm also not hating on Darksword. :-D
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Make no mistake, I wasn't trying to start a debate of artistic influence and/or originality. I was just reminded of a sword by looking at another sword, haha! Making a European sword is pretty close to composing music, you can create all you want, but there is a good chance it resembles another's creation. And I say let us revel in our similarities and our differences.

FableBlades really does bring artistry and craft to a whole new level, almost incomprehensible to the likes of me. Though I am an advocate of Darksword as well. Both good companies in my opinion, they supply sturdy blades to grasping hands. :)
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Eothain wrote:FableBlades really does bring artistry and craft to a whole new level, almost incomprehensible to the likes of me. Though I am an advocate of Darksword as well. Both good companies in my opinion, they supply sturdy blades to grasping hands. :)
Take a close look at that suspension system.

Brendan posted this over on SBG after I complimented him on it.
Thanks for noticing. I had the concept for the upper strap mount in mind, and tried to sketch it. While positioning was dictated by Findlithui's preferences. I just had to figure out how to make it work, which needed to wait till I was actually making it. But I knew I'd figure it out.
Here's a pic of the back of the top mount strap(s). There are three strap holders cut from the scabbard leather marked in red (not visible under the straps). The front side has two strap holders cut from the scabbard,for the outer straps- angled so as not to be aligned.
Along with this image of the back side

Some really amazing work.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Most definitely! The weaving of the leather is incredibly graceful, and it's these details that keep adding up and melding together that make their works so awesome! I do believe FableBlades attach stories to some of their items, which is pretty awesome, but the intricacy of their products entice a story all on their own.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Eothain wrote:Most definitely! The weaving of the leather is incredibly graceful, and it's these details that keep adding up and melding together that make their works so awesome! I do believe FableBlades attach stories to some of their items, which is pretty awesome, but the intricacy of their products entice a story all on their own.
The Fables that go with the blades are provided by the customers most of the time. That was Brendan's thing when he started, make the blade that fits your own story. He wrote some of them too, but most are customer created.

And thanks for being cool. It's one of the reasons I like this site, we're all polite.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

I was looking through some of the pictures they have of the other weapons on the Fable Blades site, and noticed some of the products had been taken down, but pictures still exist on Fable Blades's facebook page. I wonder why that is? I would really like to see all of their creations and specs on one page.

Thanks for the corrected info on the stories attached to the weapons Yavion! And no problem, I continue to come to this forum because of the politeness and kindness! We truly do have a brotherhood here. :)
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Eothain wrote:I was looking through some of the pictures they have of the other weapons on the Fable Blades site, and noticed some of the products had been taken down, but pictures still exist on Fable Blades's facebook page.
Ooops, I guess it would help if I looked through the different categories of the website, haha!
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Eothain wrote:
Eothain wrote:I was looking through some of the pictures they have of the other weapons on the Fable Blades site, and noticed some of the products had been taken down, but pictures still exist on Fable Blades's facebook page.
Ooops, I guess it would help if I looked through the different categories of the website, haha!
Easy to get a bit overwhelmed and loose a bit of brain function on the Fableblades site. Just watch out for drool getting in your keyboard and causing a short. :P