Leather tooling tips and tricks?

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Leather tooling tips and tricks?

Post by Taurinor »

I've been working on a leather axe cover for a friend of mine, and I decided to try tooling some designs on it before I dye it.

I don't have any specific tools, so I used a knife and some plastic clay tools. I like how it turned out, but I was mostly just kind of guessing at what might work, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips of tricks for tooling leather. I've seen some amazing leatherwork here, so I figured I'd ask. Most of the videos or tutorials I'm able to find call for specific leatherworking tools, and I'd rather not invest a lot of money right out of the gate.
Last edited by Taurinor on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Leather tooling tips and tricks?

Post by E.MacKermak »

Most of those specialized tools did not exist in the middle ages and there are still examples of beautiful work. I own a fair collection of leatherworking tools but usually stick to a swivel knife (or other good sharp knife), modeling tools probably similar to the ones you used, bevelers and backgrounders for basic design enhancement. A lot of the other tools can be added, but to recreate medieval looks, I don't regularly use much else.

The work you did looks nice. Keep up the good work and good luck on future projects.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow! Seriously impressive work! Especially for someone who hasn't done leather tooling before, and is only using improvised tools! Nicely done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Very nicely done. Improvising is really a great thing! Your design turned out great!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You did a fine job!
The medium of leather still requires an artists eye, which clearly you posess.
The use of additional specialty tools will only let you reach the desired expression a bit quicker and easier. The desired outcome is what you need to learn, the "standards" of what makes a good peice of leatherwork.
Basic tools do not have to cost a fortune and you can start with just a few and get a bit more as you need them and as your techniques improve. If you like to do the type of peices that you have shown here, you can start with a nail or centerpunch and a tooling knife which has a knifelike impliment on one end and a spoonish implement on the other. With practice you can do so much of the tooling with just that one tool and the stipple-like effect of the background with the mallet and punch.
The thing that makes your tooling "pop" is undercutting. this makes your subjects look like they are floating in front of your background rather than on it. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

That tooling really does look great, especially for a first attempt.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It really did turn out great.

The lines that make up the dragons...were those simply pressed in with a narrow tool after the leather was wet? I've had a basic understanding of how this works for awhile, but I'm approaching a point in one project where I (horror of horrors) may find myself needing to tool some lines onto something.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I used a thin tool (I think it was a sharpened chopstick) to draw the design, then followed the indentations with a knife, cutting part way into the leather. Next a used a clay spatula type thing to open the cuts and smooth the corners of the cuts.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love that! Great job, was it freehand or from a stencil?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Mirimaran wrote:I love that! Great job, was it freehand or from a stencil?

Ken
Thanks! I used a stencil - drew out the design I wanted to use, made a copy in case I destroyed it, then placed it on the wet leather and traced it. The printer paper actually held together surprisingly well.

Here's the finished cover; I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, and my buddy really liked it.

I was surprised by how well it fit. I took tracings of the axehead and made everything based on those, but didn't get to check the fit till it was done.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Fantastic work, that's a piece be proud of.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It turned out beautifully! And the motif is very "medieval" in its overall aesthetic. Ya' done good! :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Beautiful.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Very well done.