Cas-Hanwei Viking Scramseax

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Cas-Hanwei Viking Scramseax

Post by Eledhwen »

I note that Kult of Athena has this scramaseax again. Had one of these long time ago and gifted it to a friend; they are very nice indeed.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?ite ... +Scramasax

Nice to see them back. Generally speaking I am not a fan of the seax style knife, but I have always liked this one.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Cas-Hanwei Viking Scramseax

Post by Eothain »

That's a very nice seax. I really like the look of the blades themselves, but have only been a fan of a couple of designs from Kult of Athena. I would definitely not mind adding this to my armory.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yeah, I picked one up again. I really liked the one I had before, which is why I chose it as a gift to a friend; it had personal value. I had intended to get another one but they stopped making/carrying them so there it was. Now they are back. I'll do a kind of review when it arrives, which should be today. The first one had good heft, felt good in the hand, came semi-sharp, had a good sheath, and of course, the blade shape was less angular, more leaf or shoot like.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have always disliked the pommel on this one, is there a historical example?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Not that I know of, but I like it, so it works for me. I'm not nearly as historically minded as you folks when I want something just for my own use.

On the other hand, my 14th century kit for St. Huberts Rangers is very accurate, as it must be and should be.

I'll say one thing for that pommel...it makes a nice temple strike pommel. Or throat. Or..well, you get the idea.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It does look fairly solid, and I do agree, what works for you, works. A Ranger's gear would be an open book to his or her life in the Wild, I think. Weapons, kit and gear from all over, if they traveled much, or traded.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Andy re-did the grip on one of these with stacked leather and some sort of binding at the pommel...check the wiki on this page, at the bottom.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Examining mine, it looks like he modified and pierced the pommel, then wrapped the wood grip with leather. The grip on these is one piece of wood from the metal hilt piece to the pommel, which is not peened on, but likely screwed on. Lot of work to redo the grip entirely as one would have to fabricate the new lines entirely and in these pics that does not appear to have been done. Could be wrong, of course, but that's how it looks to me.

I was talking with Mirimaran about this earlier today as I was thinking of maybe replacing the wood handle with bone, or alternating bone and bronze or wood pieces. That or wrapping with with buckskin since it is a little slender for my grip.

The piece itself is a pretty good replica of a Frankish scramasax from 550 CE. Ken turned that bit of info up. Even the pommel as it comes is accurate. Fortunately, I like the pommel as is.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!