Arrow Designs and Fletchings (Pic Heavy)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rhonin
Wayfarer

Arrow Designs and Fletchings (Pic Heavy)

Post by Rhonin »

Hello Rangers!

I thought I'd post some pics of some of the recent fletching work I've done. Most of these are pretty simple designs for friends/family or other customers. I'll post some of the more complicated stuff as soon as I get around to taking some photos of them.

Enjoy!

Simple Red and White classic Parabolic fletchings

Some Green and Gold with a Pope and Young Fletching

A bit more complicated two tone fletching

A close up of the cresting work

Some Dark Ranger arrows I made for a good friend of mine

Close up of the Ranger Arrows
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Arrow Designs and Fletchings (Pic Heavy)

Post by RikJohnson »

works of art!
I would be afraid to shoot these for fear of damaging them.

I make my own arrows, like many here, but my work is nothing close to yours.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rhonin
Wayfarer

Post by Rhonin »

Not at all RikJohnson!

Those are gorgeous!! I love the points and the string fletching fitting! The cresting work is fantastic as well!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Rhonin wrote: The cresting work is fantastic as well!
I wanted a crest that would seperate my arrows from everyone else's AND be easy to remember and would be instantly identifiable in case someone found my shaft in the brush.
So I used my SCA Arms, red on silver on a starry night sky.

Although I love your fletching, again, I needed something easy for me to identify and replicate. I'm not an artist so all my work is functional but not beautiful.

One thing I did discover was that when I was using cotton thread to hold the feathers to the shaft, I had to trim a bit of the feather from the vane to give something to tie to.
Also that thread prevents the fletching from ripping my hand apart as it passesd over my bow-hand.
I've tried over and over to run thread all along the feather, but so far that skill eludes me. All the videos show it so easy but I constantly fail there.

All of my arrows have the same black-&-white fletching, but the thread color is specific to the head.
Red = target
white = Broadhead
black = blunts

I've been experimenting with making blunts for rabbits, etc, but getting a wood blunt-head balanced is a problem.

I buy my shafts and target points and feathers from Saggittarius in bulk to save shipping cost. I'd love to get more of those double curved heads (in the pic) but they are no longer made. Like my original broadheads, there is a 'Law' that states that "once you find something you like and works well, they will stop making it!"
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rhonin
Wayfarer

Post by Rhonin »

RikJohnson,

I found something close that may be what you're looking for:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/TopHat+Me ... eitem.html

See, thats what I love about archers. Theres so many great ways to do things. I never even would have thought to do an SCA arms or family crest colors (although I had read about medieval archers doing this during a tournament, I never considered doing it myself).

I think they turned out quite well!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Had a go with my arms this way...since mine are per pale sable and argent, a chief gules, it tuned out..interesting. Red band is easy, golden chrysanthemum flower on it was easy. The black and white bit, to look right, meant that bit looked like some of the old titan missile paint jobs. LOL Black, white, black, white, so no matter how it turned, it looked right. The more complex the armory, the more 'interesting' the cresting.

Later I settled for a black shaft, white rings near the fletch point, a yellow cock feather, and red flights. Right colors, just not the same design as the shield. ;)

Excellent job on those, RikJohnson.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Rhonin wrote:RikJohnson,

I found something close that may be what you're looking for:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/TopHat+Me ... eitem.html
THAT it mis exactly.
I don't know how I missed it, considering how much I give those people.
Thanks.
Rhonin
Wayfarer

Post by Rhonin »

Haha, I'm sure there's a select few of us that pay their bills =D
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

That's some fine work
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'