New Flint and Steel

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

New Flint and Steel

Post by Daerir »

So I've been really busy this summer with work and my weekends have been spent finishing my truck, but that's finally done and now all my evenings are free. It's been a while since I was one MERF but I'm coming back with goodies! With my newly acquired tender I bought myself a flint and steel and...... another item that will be posted shortly after this is done BUT ANYWAY!

I bought this flint and steel set from the Self Reliance Outfitters. They have some seriously awesome stuff and I recommend them to any ranger or ranger enthusiast. It comes in this nice little steel case with a piece of lamp wick for use of fire starting. Now I haven't actually made a fire with it yet, but I have got it to spark fairly well.

http://prntscr.com/8ek0is
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Flint and Steel

Post by RikJohnson »

When I was stationed in England, I filled my duffle with flint and let the load crew drag it on board the aircraft.
Then I took a large piece to the Renaissance Fair and traded it to the blacksmith for a striker kit.
THEN i made him demonstrate it a few times while I asked questions and practiced with him to get the technique down.
The genius part was that I had my daughter film the entire thing so I could rewatch it as needed.
Bad thing is that over the years, I have realized that I did not ask enough questions. I can still start a fire with flint, but am not as good as many people and the recreation people around here are also of an equal skill so learning from them is a steep curve.

Still, the kit is a good thing to have and I have two, one regular sized in a leather pouch and one micro-kit that fits into a tiny altoids tin.

BTW, all those cotton shirts you throw away because they got torn or worn out?
get an altoids tin, cut the shirt into squares and when you go camping, toss that tin onto the stove after dinner and make char cloth.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.