Almost perfect ranger armor

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Almost perfect ranger armor

Post by Willrett »

While I was doing alittle ebaying I came across this item http://cgi.ebay.com/Harry-Potter-Prop-Q ... |294%3A200

I think it would make perfect ranger armor. I think it could be altered a little to better fit our needs. Let me know what you think.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Almost perfect ranger armor

Post by Greg »

My biggest problem with it is that it's quilted. It's not thick enough to save you from a blade; it's intended use is to make bludgeoning attacks hurt less, as one would encounter in said quidditch match. But that's just my two cents.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Yeah thats true but what if it was harder or boiled leather or maybe even reinforced.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Wouldn't look or feel the same. Boiled, it would be stiff and wouldn't move nearly as quietly as this quilted armor.

Though it might make good practice armor as it looks fairly blunt force resistant or as padding under maille.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

You would also need some padding to keep it from chafing you.

My vision, for what its worth, of Tolkienesque arms and armour centers around Viking age, that said, warriors of this period did not use leg protection, at least greaves have never been proven to have been used, despite earlier finds of splinted limb armour, some warriors only used a shield and helm for armour, even those who could afford to be heavily mailled....This tells me alot. Sometimes being nimble is better than being armoured.

Also from a Historical fencing perspective, low line attacks are dangerous, one very basic technique is to simply slip the targeted leg back while simultaneously cutting to the head or sword arm of the attacker.

Just my opinion, probably worth exactly what you paid for it :lol: . But I do think that leg armour looks very cool....
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Gareth wrote:And Greg, not sayin' your wrong but, I would rather have padded soft leather than cloth or nothing.
I'd smoke some longbottom to that. However, with the big knee pads on those, I think I'd find it a little difficult to run. I wear knee pads at nerf wars (basically paintballing with plastic toys) to save my poor skin and kneecaps the brutal abuse I put them through, but they're really uncomfortable to run in. The bulk in front of the knee just gets annoying. I'd wear them, but I think I'd probably grow to dislike these.

However, for Ranger purposes, I think they could do a fine job. Especially when moving through rocky terrain, climbing up and down over and under again and again, knee and shin guards could make things FAR more comfy and workable. Nice find, Willrett.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I only paid attention to the greaves so forgive the tangent on lowline attacks :lol:

With regards to splinted armour check out this thread from MyArmoury:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Its the thread about Vendel period arms and armour....

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thats it! This would be a fairly easy recreation, I dont know what guage sheet for the splints he used. personally I would go for 16 guage sheet and 6-7 oz leather, Leaving splints "forge finished" with a coating linseed oil dried on, before riveting them in place.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

You're exactly right. I have gorget made by Jeff Richardson that is 18 guage but because of the edge rolls is stout a'plenty. Heat treated 18 guage would be perfect....not to mention a little bit cheaper

I have a load of old truck springs and I've been thinking about putting some of that steel to use on some splinted armour and going one step further and tempering the splints. It would be labor intensive but it would make the armour nigh indestructible.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~