Almost perfect ranger armor

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Almost perfect ranger armor

Post by Beornmann »

One of the passages that sticks with me from ffoulkes' Armourer and His Craft, is the criteria for armor: 1) Suitability of purpose. 2) Convienence of use.
The Quidditch lower leg harness looks like it designed to protect aganst blunt force trauma, from Bludgers or players blatching or cobbing. This would be a step above a gambeson or aketon, with it's leather reinforcement. Splinted armor are great and easy to make and maintain.

I just keep thinking what it would be to march all day, then conduct a raid or ambush in heavy armor. A marauder / guerilla fighter's armor must be light and allow for freedom of movement; trading protection for speed and manueverability.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I doubt if anyone here would disagree with you. It's the option of maneuverability that's caused me to stop at leather bracers and light leather chest armor. Boots offer some leg protection, sure, but I'd rather be able to nimbly sidestep a sweep at my legs than trust some plates to take the blunt force because they made me feel awkward and unable to dodge.

Willrett, don't let our negative remarks keep you from getting that set if you think it'll work for you. All the talk about splinted armor is quite valid, and could be easily added onto that set.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I like the look of the armor but I cant afford to buy it. It it can be modified and recreated that would be best for me. I like reading all the different ideas and comments on the stuff. I think it has a great look to it, it looks like ranger armor to me however I didn't think the protection offered were up to par with anything but light blunt contact.

But it with that being said I think it will be a good base to start from for myself and others hopefully.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

If you are interested in armor making, I highly recommend:
Techniques Of Medieval Armour Reproduction: The 14th Century.
It's 14th C but he describes basic ways to put a harness together, that translate well across many armor options.

And please don't take to my comments too seriously. If you like and it works for you, have at it. Last I figured, the Dúnedain never established any sort of uniform.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Beornmann wrote:Last I figured, the Dúnedain never established any sort of uniform.
Which is why this community is SO awesome! Pete's getup looks COMPLETELY different from Andy's, which looks nothing like mine. Everyone adds their own respective flavoring to the dunedain, making everything that much more fun! I can't wait for someday, when we can all get together and spend a weekend for one common purpose, even though we all dress so differently. The photos would be sure to astound many!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I agree with that completely. From the different weapon choices to the different pendents even down to the different clothing styles.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
David

Post by David »

Greg & I found some pretty sweet leather/chainmail armor the other day, and I wanted to know what you guys & gals thought.

Although it's more appropriate for someone recreating a Rohirric persona, I think it might fit into our "neck o' the woods" as well...

http://www.lrpstore.com/Deluxe-Leather- ... rd/p--700/#
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I like it a lot but I think it looks like the harder prettier version of this quidditch stuff. If It had the knee pads and gloves it would be the battle use and the quidditch would be the training use. I do gotta check out the rest of this site looks like some nice stuff.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Very Rohirric indeed...but I see no reason why a Ranger wouldn't use it if that's what fit the need. Nice stuff.

For myself, a maile hauberk with elbow length sleeves and to the knees. Bazubands and greaves for SCA version combat so I get dual uses from it.

Siani
Nandalad!
Jim E
Wayfarer

Post by Jim E »

I generally dislike this sort of leather breastplates as they usually are a bit on the exaggerating fantasy side, for my taste at least, but this one is pretty awesome!
It doesn't seem to restrict movement much either so I don't think it would be a bad choise for a ranger. Bit expensive for me though...
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I must have it! or something similar...very similar! But 300 British pounds would be something over 600.00 U.S. thats wayyyy too expensive.

Heres my question why? Why does this gear such as helms armour and blades have to be so bloody expensive. I realize craftsmen have to make a living but knowing a little about smithing...and that without so much as a third of the handy super tools the "big boys" use I can tell you alot of this stuff is drastically overpriced.

What really pisses me off is that it basically drives alot of folk out of the hobby. In my granpas time, Smiths and saddlers would keep their work slightly underpriced valueing a good name and repeat business over making a ton on one sale...I have an axe forged by my great great grandfather that has been in use for 100 years or more that probably would've sold for a dollar or less, I have a saddle that was bought for $2.00 in 1889 that up until a year ago I still used for working colts.
I can also remember, and I'm only 29, when I could've bought a good horse for what a damn knife costs now :shock:

Bear in mind I was raised by a depression era mountain man so my tangent may not make much sense to everybody...But a few will know exactly what I'm saying.

Have we got greedy? I mean why does everyone these days think they need to make 100.00 an hour or that everything "hand made" should be be at least $500.00. It seems to me this mentality is unsound in the long term. The old timers made something to last, to be kept forever not something you would have to sell to buy something else. I dont know....This is just something that has bothered me for a long time.

Sorry for the rant.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It was a good rant 8)

I guess part of the problem is that in some cases raw materials have gone up, the craftsman is trying to make a full time living doing his art, and keeping the bills paid and the kids in school to boot. The best answer is learn the skills yourself. My wife is a very crafty person and it is really hard for her to try to put a price tag on something she makes because she wants it to be economical and at the same time reflect the time and cost of materials that went into the product. Most times those kinds of websites are buying their products directly from the craftsman and then marking them up for sale in their online store. I know the reason that most craftsman at Ren Faires charge so much is that the rent for their spaces is so outrageous. Still, you can sometimes get very lucky. My wife and I had some very nice pouches made a couple of years ago at faire for a pittance of what other sellers would have made them for. Sometimes you can haggle things down, which is why I'd rather buy face to face when I can. At this year's Highland Games, there was alot of trade and barter, believe it or not, so there's hope out there. What we need is more like how this forum is; I got something you want, you make something I want, we work out something 8) and of course, sometimes we just get lucky when a generous craftsman like Peter is kind enough to make something for you just because he wants to. Good to know there are good folks still out there, in the Wild...
Last edited by Mirimaran on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

R.D.Metcalf wrote: Bear in mind I was raised by a depression era mountain man so my tangent may not make much sense to everybody...But a few will know exactly what I'm saying.
You must meet my wife 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Mirimaran,

You sound like my type of Ranger! 8) After i posted this I was hoping no one took it as being abrasive. But I do have to admit to some frustration at how danged expensive everything seems to have gotten in the last 10 years.

It would be an honor to meet your wife as well as yourself, sir. I was raised by my grandfather and being an only child I spent more time in the company of older folk than people my own age. Alot of their veiwpoints and ways of doing things rubbed off on me. I dont really know if thats good or bad :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~