New ranger knife.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

New ranger knife.

Post by Ursus »

Here are a few pics of my recently completed fighting/camp knife. This is going to replace my faithful old dirk as my new work/fighting knife. Design concept wise I was thinking along the lines of a leaf blade cut in half, much like the movie version of Orcrist. Maybe something Elven Ursus saw in his wanderings that he attempted to recreate in his home forge with the scant materials to hand. I'm pleased with how it turned out and it cuts like a beast.

Stats:
Blade material: 5160
Thickness: 5/16"
Length: 15 1/2"
Back edge: 3 1/2"
Handle material: Mulberry scales with elk antler crown pommel.
Assembly: Peened/handle scales
Attachments
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (138.67 KiB) Viewed 15474 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 15474 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (92.62 KiB) Viewed 15474 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: New ranger knife.

Post by Ursus »

And few more.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 15473 times
image[1].jpeg
image[1].jpeg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 15473 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I keep on saying that a heavy, wide knife is a beast for wood processing, and I'm pretty sure I could knock someone out cold with the spine of one through a helmet.

Looks great; glad it turned out so well for you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is a BEAST! Awesome! :)

I'm curious - why use both wood and antler, rather just simple wood or a whole piece of antler?
Is it pure aesthetics, or is there a particular functionality difference you were after?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth wrote:That is a BEAST! Awesome! :)

I'm curious - why use both wood and antler, rather just simple wood or a whole piece of antler?
Is it pure aesthetics, or is there a particular functionality difference you were after?
Several reasons really. Partly aesthetics. I did make a pommel in brass but the look didn't capture what I wanted. Originally it was all antler but in slimming down the handle I ate into the pith. After that I went with the mulberry scales but still needed a pommel. I had the brass one I mentioned but it just didn't look right. I like my personal gear to look more organic. While pondering what to do I was tossing the ruined antler in the air and catching it when the idea hit me to cut the crown off and fit it on as a pommel. The result is what you see here.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice Brother Bear!
I love making handles of Antler and your aging technique is great! I also love the shape of the blade! Fantastic work! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

That is a really nice looking knife Ursus. I like the design as a whole and especially how you left the finish along the spine. Something I could see myself carrying that is for sure.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's absolutely gorgeous. I enjoy the shape immensely; it looks like something of a cross between a seax and a bowie, and that organic curvature on the leading edge gives it a really dynamic profile. It's simple, yet complex, and moreover design is totally functional and businesslike, with an earthy, organic feel. Just about a perfect ranger knife! One of these days I'm definitely going to have to commission something from you, because I absolutely adore your work.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Beautiful!
You can't take the sky from me.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

That looks so amazing hopefully I can find one that will work for me.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Love that knife! I think it fits perfectly with the aesthetics of the Ranger. Now, what sort of scabbard are you thinking?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice piece. Looks trusty indeed
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Mirimaran wrote:Love that knife! I think it fits perfectly with the aesthetics of the Ranger. Now, what sort of scabbard are you thinking?

Ken

Thanks for the kind words all! Ken, the scabbard will be one of my woodcore ones using a modified version of the slat method with goatskin stitched over top. Haven't decided on how I'm going to wear it yet, probably slanted across my back or on my right hip.