Dyeing fleece??

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Dyeing fleece??

Post by Willrett »

Can it be done?? I just pulled a nice big fleece blanket out of the yard sale pile, while no one was looking :oops: , but the only problem with it is its blue. I will most likely be just a blanket but I may make it a cloak if I can dye it.

I also pulled a pair of forest green fleece pajama pants out as well.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Dyeing fleece??

Post by Mirimaran »

Willrett wrote:Can it be done?? I just pulled a nice big fleece blanket out of the yard sale pile, while no one was looking :oops: , but the only problem with it is its blue. I will most likely be just a blanket but I may make it a cloak if I can dye it.

I also pulled a pair of forest green fleece pajama pants out as well.
If the fleece is 100% cotton or wool, it can be dyed. If it is polyester, it cannot unless you use a dye that is specifically for polyester. Check to see if there is a tag on the blanket and see what it is made of.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I checked and it is polyester. So I will attempting to dye it very soon.

Any Idea how I would go about doing a almost tie-dye job on it, like I said before its currently blue but would like to get it green/brown but not solid.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If it's blue, it may be difficult to make it green/brown. The lighter the color, the easier it will be to change it. If you could bleach it pure white first, it'd dye much easier.

As for making it multi-colored, I'm willing to bet a blowing horn that you're attempting to make a multi-colored cloak based off the Ranger's Apprentice series. And that is a notion that I fully support.

Good luck! I think you may already have answered your own question, though; tie-dye it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

[accidental duplicate post]
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

hey, you stole my idea of a 'primitive camo' cloak through tie-dye. well ill one-up-you by doing my tarp too.
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Yeah but if you see my other thread I'm doing a cloak to. And also on the other post its from the Rangers Apprentice, they seem to be really good books for getting ideas from.