Battlecry Line from Windlass

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Battlecry Line from Windlass

Post by Harper »

I just saw this new line out by Windlass Steelcraft and don't recall seeing it mentioned here before:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/m-115-bat ... dlass.aspx

I have no opinion or additional information.

I thought the line may be of some interest to those here.

For example:

Carbon steel, leather scabbard and introductory pricing--not bad.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Battlecry Line from Windlass

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.. that's interesting. Looks exactly like the Czech piece Wulflund was selling:

http://www.armaepona.cz/en/long-knives- ... masax.html

... I wonder if Windlass licensed it, or if MRL is reselling the Czech ones under a different name, or what? I can't imagine a company with as big an American presence as MRL would risk blatant knockoffs.

I'd looked at one for a while, but ultimately decided to eventually go in a more polished Dunedain direction. Looks like a handy brush tool though.
.. and I do like the aesthetic in the ornamentation on the hilt pieces. It's got a very mystic/ancient feel.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elleth wrote:Hunh.. that's interesting. Looks exactly like the Czech piece Wulflund was selling:

http://www.armaepona.cz/en/long-knives- ... masax.html

... I wonder if Windlass licensed it, or if MRL is reselling the Czech ones under a different name, or what? I can't imagine a company with as big an American presence as MRL would risk blatant knockoffs.

I'd looked at one for a while, but ultimately decided to eventually go in a more polished Dunedain direction. Looks like a handy brush tool though.
.. and I do like the aesthetic in the ornamentation on the hilt pieces. It's got a very mystic/ancient feel.
The Battlecry Line was supposedly developed by Windlass with the aid of John Clements. Your observation on their similarities does point in another direction though. One of the Battlecry swords shares the same design on the pommel and guard.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have been eyeing the seax, I feel it would work well with the Ranger kit, don't like the scabbard though.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Mirimaran wrote:I have been eyeing the seax, I feel it would work well with the Ranger kit, don't like the scabbard though.

Ken
Love the seax the scabbard will follow! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well hunh...

I asked Arma Epona if the seax was licensed from them, Krak wrote back saying he'd never seen it before. Actually his language was a little more colorful. :)

I really didn't think Windlass / MRL would be that scummy.... other than the handle wrap, the copy looks identical - and it's not so far as I can tell a copy of a historical piece.

Anyhow, I guess now I know if I want one, to get the original via KofA.
.. and it won't have crossed kukris and the Windlass tradename stamped on it.

humbug.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Tis disturbing, but I went ahead and wrote MRL to see if they are copying a historical example. They are very close indeed.

I do still have my Remling original, however :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Yavion wrote:...this is not one of Clements' finest hours.
Yeah...
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Yeah, I'd seen that.... :/

I can't deeply blame him though.
Deciphering ancient training manuscripts and not looking like a dufus on camera are entirely different skillsets.. and I think most folks who've never had much exposure to the acting world don't grok that. Only Mike Loades can be Mike Loades - and even he occasionally chewed the scenery a bit.

Then again, maybe it sells.

... I do hope MRL either produces a photo of an original or works out a license with the Czechs tout suite though.

(Come to think of it, why isn't anyone already a US distributor for Armae Pona's entire line already? As popular as Vikings has been, I'd think that's just leaving money on the table)
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I was excited back when this line was first announced because I saw Clements was attached to it. My hope was that MRL would finally offer blades that where properly profiled and had some geometry to them. On seeing the finished product my thoughts were that its just the same old Windlass, just blackened. May be some fun project pieces but at the price I'd recommend getting a Hanwei or to keep saving for a higher end piece. Sadly I don't think Clements had a hand in any of the design process but was instead just used as a poster child to attract attention. If only Hank Reinhardt were still alive and in charge....
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ursus wrote: Sadly I don't think Clements had a hand in any of the design process but was instead just used as a poster child to attract attention. If only Hank Reinhardt were still alive and in charge....
That's one scary poster child! He always comes across as aloof to me, I dunno. I do wish Hank was still around, I enjoyed his book. Still no word from MRL concerning the origin of their designs for the line.

Ken