Announcing the "Cash-strapped and low on coal" sale

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Announcing the "Cash-strapped and low on coal" sale

Post by Eric C »

My pleasure. :D
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, I lit my last coal fire for a while today. :cry: But I have some lump charcoal in the storage shed that I can use. Plus I'll pick up a bag or two from Walley world tomorrow. Then it's heat treat for a couple of knives that I'm going to make available and I am going to try something different with some coil spring that I have. I'll be posting pics so stay tuned.

P.S. As for using charcoal, I understand many knife makers prefer it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My experience has been that charcoal has fewer impurities and burns more cleanly due to its manufacture. As a result things like clinkers and other difficulties with coal don't come into play. The drawbacks are it takes nearly twice as much charcoal for the same amount of work as a given quantity of coal, or thereabouts.

Just how I've experienced it.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Siani, my experience and my reading show that you are absolutely right. I burned through two large bags of lump charcoal in a short amount of time.

But an interesting thing happened. I was walking around our church and found a quarter-sized piece of coal on the ground. I and the pastor searched around and got maybe a quarter of a 5 gallon bucket full of coal. I checked the basement the following Sunday and have found the remains of an old coal pile. Our church was an old school as far back as the 20's I think and it was heated by coal. Of course it is stoker coal, but it will work. I have pulled out probably about 75 lbs so far. It is under some bricks from an old wall that was torn down, so it's tricky in bad lighting to pick through it. Some of the pieces are the size of half a brick. Then there's a lot of fines to filter through. But at the moment, I am no longer coalless. Still cashless, but aren't we all? :roll:

Anyway, hoping to have another piece up before too long. And I'm sorry I didn't reply to this much sooner.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Just a question, Would mixing the coal and charcoal work ? The charcoal would give some heat stability and the coal: effiency and cost saving?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I've done this but the charcoal is still gone pretty fast however one benefit that does make a primtive set up a little more efficient is a coating of wood ash will retain heat and bring steel to working temp somewhat faster. I've done this quite a bit especially when hot cutting truck springs, by laying them on the fire and adding a bit of charcoal on top of them , but other than that it seems the coal just makes the charcoal burn faster.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Good question. I have mixed a small amount of charcoal into my coal fire in the past, mainly for the ease of lighting the charcoal when there wasn't enough coke from the last fire or my outdoor forge got all wet. But if it gives any advantage to the fire, I can't say.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric C wrote: or my outdoor forge got all wet. .

Oh man, I know all about that :lol: The monsoons have set in here :cry:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Sorry for bumping but I didnt see year. Anyway
Eric C wrote:Good question. I have mixed a small amount of charcoal into my coal fire in the past, mainly for the ease of lighting the charcoal when there wasn't enough coke from the last fire or my outdoor forge got all wet. But if it gives any advantage to the fire, I can't say.
Do you send overseas at all. I am in need of a seax knife and I might consider a particular person on the board to do it for me. I also might be willing to pay 115% of the asked price if the knife doesnt explode or desecate my hands (I have high hopes by what ive seen) and also because I like helping people out. Besides Australia is a gluttonous money pig and these lazy doll moochers dont need it here. I cant tell you how many badly assembled blades ive held in my life (mostly swords though).

If you can but not right now id consider at a later date but when its time id need to know the details of money transfer, ect. Being 18 for only 6 days makes it hard to grasp the world's monatary exchange when youve never learned to use it.
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Taurthir wrote:
If you can but not right now id consider at a later date but when its time id need to know the details of money transfer, ect. Being 18 for only 6 days makes it hard to grasp the world's monatary exchange when youve never learned to use it.
If you set up a paypal account, it would make things easier for you to make payments to Stateside merchants. And Eric, you should get one too hehe.. they are free. And much faster than mailing a check.

Just my 2 cents.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

And it's worth a lot more than 2 cents too! I'll be checking into it very soon.