A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Scabbard Making

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks for posting those tips! I am certainly going to give the first one a try!

The last time I made a scabbard, I used three pieces of thin wood, as you would get at Home Depot in the craft wood section. On one piece I drew the outline of the blade and then cut it out, and basically glued that section between the other two pieces and clamped shut. Then it was sand, carve, and sand until I got it down to one smooth shape. I bent some steel to shape for the throat and then covered that in leather, and just carved and painted the rest of the scabbard. It is a little bigger than what most scabbards should look like, more akin to the ones you see in movies, but it works 8) I will have to post some pics.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I've used methods 2 & 3...but not 1. Guess I know which one I have to have a go with. Fortunately I have a nice dagger that's almost a shortsword that might work for experiments with that. Hmmmm.

Siani
Nandalad!