Ranger headgear

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Ranger headgear

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail Rangers!

I was thinking, what would be considered appropriate Ranger headgear? I don't know if I'd wear a hood in 90 degree heat, so I was wanting some input. We have a Ren Faire coming up, and if I am not wearing my hood I'd like to wear something else to cover my bald(ing) pate that also looks appropriate and fits a Ranger persona. So, any ideas?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jerome W.249

Re: Ranger headgear

Post by Jerome W.249 »

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeromew.249/RangerHeadGear#
here are some examples of alternate head gear that might be suitable for a ranger
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I was thinking along the lines of a floppy wide brimmed leather hat to keep the sun from one's eyes. A leather hat probably wouldn't be any cooler than a hot so maybe something like a French Liberty cap possibly with a slight brim. Liberty Cap - a conical knit cap that was snug at the foreheard and the cone top (sometimes with a tassel) would flop over on one side. I believe they are also called Voyageur caps
Last edited by Peter Remling on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Think Robin Hood with a giant feather. :lol: :lol: I am kinda a big fan of the packer hat from 3 rivers.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8073X

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8072X

Don't know what you would consider a "period" hat. But these look good.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Jerome W.249 wrote:http://picasaweb.google.com/jeromew.249/RangerHeadGear#
here are some examples of alternate head gear that might be suitable for a ranger
Great pics, and jeezyweezy look that those boars! Who's the brave hunter?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Peter Remling wrote:I was thinking along the lines of a floppy wide brimmed leather hat to keep the sun from one's eyes. A leather hat probably wouldn't be any cooler than a hot so maybe something like a French Liberty cap possibly with a slight brim. Liberty Cap - a conical knit cap that was snug at the foreheard and the cone top (sometimes with a tassel) would flop over on one side. I believe they are also called Voyageur caps
I was thinking something along those lines as well, as too much sun is a bad thing, and I was thinking of a hat that would be easy to roll up in a pack or tuck in a belt. I can't recall if there are many mentions in LOTR of folks in headgear. In Anglo-Saxon times was it common to wear something on the head, regardless of cap, hood, or hat?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I like a nice hat ala a straw one, but of leather or wool, at least for the more 'Northern Ranger' look.

Since I am also doing kit for a Ranger wandering in Harad, a turban and veil suits me well.

I have varied interests. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mirimaran wrote:
Jerome W.249 wrote:http://picasaweb.google.com/jeromew.249/RangerHeadGear#
Great pics, and jeezyweezy look that those boars! Who's the brave hunter?
That's Paul Wilburn, founder of St. Hubert's Rangers.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

In my mind, I never really saw Rangers wearing head-gear, but sun issues are a problem. I think the Fred Bear hat Willrett posted would be a good idea. I have usually worn a rolled/folded bandana, and my hood on past trips, but it can get hot in the summer, so a wide brimmed hat would allow for more air flow.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg

Post by Greg »

The Fred Bear hat he's talking about is the one I own...VERY comfy, and completely waterproof.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

A few years ago I probably wouldn't have minded going without a hat, but I had a basil cell carcinoma pop up on my forehead about 5 years ago that left me with an inch scar after the doctor cut a quarter size piece of damaged skin out. I was lucky because it was benign but I pay alot more attention to small bumps and whatnot now, and I wear a hat anytime I am out in the sun, and sunscreen. The doctor told me he had one guy come in who had a carcinoma on his ear that he let go for months. They ended up removing his ear. If there is damaged skin you can see on the surface, you don't know how much underneath is already gone. Just some FYI.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll be honest, I don't really think that a wide-brimmed hat really fits the genre, but at the same time, this is all about our own interpretations of how we think things should or would have been done. No one can tell you whether or not they fit. For what you're looking for, I think a wide-brimmed hat may be perfect, and I'm SURE that with a little work, one could be made that would look like it came straighht out of ME, rather than out of a 1950's Trad. Archery catalog. I don't think that there's really a medieval/viking era hat that would do the job that you're looking for, so have at it!

As I think about it, if one were to made a leather wide-brimmed hat, and then attach one side to the top a la musketeer and throw on a subtle feather, I think a very medieval, woodsy, yet functional look could be achieved.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I like the 6 paneled cap from Birka, more or less the Scandinavian equivalent of the beanie/watch cap 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~