MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Iodo »

what an outing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

My friends and I hiked up Pinnacle Mountain near Little Rock today. Lovely views!
Attachments
C0E284AD-65C2-44C3-A40E-705F1B84BF69.jpeg
C0E284AD-65C2-44C3-A40E-705F1B84BF69.jpeg (195.71 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Where's the trailhead for that? I have family in Arkansas, and that looks like it'd be worth the trip.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

So there’s a couple different trails to follow: the West Summit trail and the East Summit trail. West Summit is more of a hike, and East Summit is more bouldering, and a good deal more difficult and treacherous. They both lead to the same summit. The West Summit trail starts a ways northwest of Little Rock. I’m usually coming at it from a southerly direction, so I’m not sure of specific instructions. You should be able to find it by looking up Pinnacle Mountain State Park, or Pinnacle Mountain West Summit trailhead. It’s marked on several different maps.
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cool; thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:29 pm Where's the trailhead for that? I have family in Arkansas, and that looks like it'd be worth the trip.

If you do, make sure to let me know. Pretty much anywhere in Arkansas is within an eight hour drive of me. I’d love to meet up!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Sounds like a few of us should meet up at the Pinnacle Mountain West Summit trail sometime!
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Desert Loon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:15 am Yay Montana! Glacier is beautiful enough to be Valinor.

Yesterday to commemorate the Professor's death date I stopped on my bike ride home and took another walk onto Mahogany Mountain. In my last post I showed a little hill I didn't have time to scale; this time I did. It commands some nice views:

Beautiful photos! Really makes me want to get back out west again.

Eofor wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:06 pm Probably the last outing for the year for me, a simple overnight camp in full kit on Ironbark ridge. Focus was on food and dinner was an entree of fried duck sausage, followed by fresh grilled venison and a pottage made of thinly sliced turnips, leeks and cabbage to which I added dried currants, crushed walnuts and locally foraged samphire.
The wildflowers are out in bloom here ahead of the dry season and I was able to find this beautiful waratah, a vibrant splash of red.

I think I mentioned it over on the other site but I love all of those photos. While one might not immediately think of Australia as a traditional fantasy environment, you have really showcased the natural beauty of your home. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Thalion of Bree wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:40 pm My friends and I hiked up Pinnacle Mountain near Little Rock today. Lovely views!

Arkansas wasn't nicknamed "The Natural State" for no reason. Great photo!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:08 am I think I mentioned it over on the other site but I love all of those photos. While one might not immediately think of Australia as a traditional fantasy environment, you have really showcased the natural beauty of your home. Thank you for sharing these photos.
I realised years ago that I couldn't compete with viking hikers in Norway, or Iodo in her misty mountains for authentic Middle Earth scenery and resolved instead to showcase the best of what we have. I guessed as much as I pine for the Scottish Highlands, a poor Scotsman on a rainy freezing day may well drool over a summer shot of one our pristine beaches.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am ...or Iodo in her misty mountains for authentic Middle Earth scenery
...I pine for the Scottish Highlands
It is not as authentic as you think it is, even in the Highlands it is hard to find a place where you can't see a modern building, the UK is small and crowded
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Though my lowly little trail cannot compete with these beautiful scapes here, I took a little trek today in my kit to test it out, and I'm quite happy with it. Made sure to snap some photos of that Pacific Northwest flora I'm so fond of, and even one of a little friend along the way!

Cheers!
Attachments
chipmunk.jpg
chipmunk.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
creek trail.jpg
creek trail.jpg (198.5 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Ranger me SMILIN.jpg
Ranger me SMILIN.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
ranger me.jpg
ranger me.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
trail.jpg
trail.jpg (207.62 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
trees.jpg
trees.jpg (218.13 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice kit :P and those forests look absolutely wonderful :mrgreen:
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you, Iodo! I finally got my boots, I decided on Bohemond's Cavalier boots, and I was needing to do the "breaking in" portion. I've already weatherproofed them and was just using a trek to break in the actual foot portion before I get my in-sole. I will say, however, despite his recommendation that they are made to be used with a bought in-sole, they are FAR more wearable without them than I thought. I own a pair of Pikes for a vampire outfit I had put together a few years ago, and they are borderline unwearable, so even if things stay as they are now, Bohemond has far surpassed my expactations.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!