Grandmas cabinet raid

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Grandmas cabinet raid

Post by Asbjorn »

So i been over at my grandmas for the past week and did a little diggin in her cabinets and found some nice glass jars but most importantly found some kind of coppar pot that i will be repurpose as a camping pot.

Now to a question have anybody cleaned the lining inside a coppar pot? what did you use?

"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Grandmas cabinet raid

Post by Elleth »

Nice!

I *assssume* that's a tin lining, which means it should just fine to cook in. Here's a good place to start on care:

http://goosebay-workshops.com/About-Bra ... r-Cookware
Only wooden utensils should be used on tin lined cookware. Metal utensils will scratch and wear through the tin lining. Use wood, horn, or (perish the thought!) plastic utensils.
The first rule for using tin lined cookware is "Never boil the pot dry"! The second rule is "Everyone eventually boils a pot dry"! Tin lining will melt if there is no liquid in the pot to keep the temperature below the tin's melting point. All tin will melt at 425 degrees - that means no sautéed onions, no modern-style oatmeal, no rice - these should all be cooked in earthenware. 18th century style oatmeal (very soupy and watery) may be cooked at low temperatues (under 425 degrees) in tin-lined copper items. There must always be liquid on our cookware whenever they are over a heat source.
If you do boil your pot dry and make tin-lined oatmeal for breakfast, it's not the end of the world. Your pot, kettle or pan is still food safe, as long as you keep the bare metal free from verdigris. I wouldn't eat the tin-lined oatmeal, though.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Re: Grandmas cabinet raid

Post by Asbjorn »

Thank you it was something like that i was looking for.
"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers