Bows?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I got the Magyar precisely due to its smaller size; the woods here are very brushy in many places. I have a horn thumbring I haven't mastered yet. I do love the bow though; very sweet.

Siani
Nandalad!
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Siani,

How do you like the thumbring?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I think it's scary. LOL It fits well and that is a good thing. I haven't mastered its use yet though so...I don't know what I think yet. I haven't ripped my face off anyway, and that's a good thing. :)

In some ways it does seem easier to draw; it is the release that takes some dealing with. Certainly with the horse bows the crowding of the fingers as you use a standard draw can be an issue so I can understand why the thumbring came about.
Nandalad!
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

The Turkish archers were known to draw all the way back to the ear. They had to wear head bands that covered their ears so they didn't get injured.

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/archer ... l#shooting

This allowed them to get up to a 35 inch draw out of a very small bow.

Imagine drawing to your ear while galloping full tilt on a horse without stirrups or a solid saddle!!!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My own draw is 32"..to the back of the jaw and the bow was made to accommodate this, both bows in fact so yep. With the thumb ring though, I haven't pulled futher than the corner of my mouth so far; just a wee bit cautious.

As for the galloping horse and things like the Parthian Shot...Yikes! Be a while before I ever got there. For one thing, I'd need a horse. LOL

Siani
Nandalad!
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

We have 6 horses, want one? ;)
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

We are looking forward to getting some horses. Since we live on 2 metres of bog, we have to get some machines in here to make fields capable of having livestock. If we got them now, they would sink up to their withers in the muck!

There is a special breed of pony that is called the Kerry Bog Pony. They are known to be very strong and hardy even though they are small. They remind me of the ponies in the "Ranger Apprentice" series.

The big ones (12 hands) can easily take my 200# frame.

Then I can figure out the horse archery.

I am reminded of the eye witness accounts of the plains indians galloping at full tilt while shooting multiple shots underneath the neck of their mount........
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Actually, sure I'd like one. I just haven't any place to put one at this point. LOL If I did have a place and way to keep one, you betcha I'd jump at the chance.

I'll keep you in mind though. ;) Six of 'em...must be nice. Must be nice.

Siani
Nandalad!
hesinraca

Re: Bows?

Post by hesinraca »

Lukas (saluki bows) has the best bows (in my opinion) and his how-to photos are good. My girlfriend's site is www.mountdarchery.NET if you want to see what we're up to and come to some clinics, but since she learned from Lukas, you will be learning the same stuff he teaches, only from a cute redhead;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

I had seen earlyer in the thread that the welsh short bow was sugested. i had the welsh bow that kult of ahtena sells, with the 40lb pull and the 20 inch draw.
it snapped in two after about fifty shots total.
now to be fair i was shooting it in winter at a temp of about 35 or so. but still you think it would have performed better. just wanted to share this with my fellow rangers who may be thinking of picking one up.( note my current bows a martin archey l100 as well as a cut down(into a short bow) fred bear montana long bow have both done wonderfully at freezing temps. :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Care to describe/show (pics would be awesome!) how/what you did to that Montana Longbow of yours? I've always loved the look of these bows and I may be getting one secondhand soon, but I HATE long bows...though I love longbows...make sense? It did in my head...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I just reread this entire thread and realizied I never posted pics of the quiverbag. I'm sure they are posted somewhere on this site but I'm reposting here so no one has to search for them.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... erbagC.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... rbagB2.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... rbagA2.jpg

Our lovely model wearing the quiverbag is Mike , my brother.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

jolromir wrote:I had seen earlyer in the thread that the welsh short bow was sugested. i had the welsh bow that kult of ahtena sells, with the 40lb pull and the 20 inch draw.
it snapped in two after about fifty shots total.
now to be fair i was shooting it in winter at a temp of about 35 or so. but still you think it would have performed better. just wanted to share this with my fellow rangers who may be thinking of picking one up.( note my current bows a martin archey l100 as well as a cut down(into a short bow) fred bear montana long bow have both done wonderfully at freezing temps. :D
Thanks much for that heads up, Jolromir! I was considering getting that bow myself, but now I think I will save my shire pennies! I am looking for a short bow, however, and would like to hear more about your montana short long bow 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Sam

Post by Sam »

I think I would still be willing to give the welsh short bow a try, thanks for the heads up though. It has a 1 year warranty, so if it's going to break, it should do so before the year is up. That is, unless you draw it more than 20 inches, which voids the warranty. If you do that, you're asking for trouble.