Bows?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Bows?

Post by dwayne davis »

It is possible i did get a defective welsh bow, but once i have something fail i usualy won't give them a second chance. well the montana bow as satated was a fred bear . simply put i took about three inches off of each limb tip. then i shaved the pistol grip off using a band saw. think i have a pick or two of it with some other kit.
the bow is in the back. i will see about taking some bow specific pics.

i did have to re tiller the bow, probably did not do it "the right way" as per traditional bow making. i used a belt sander WITH A RESPERATOR AND OUT SIDE !!!!!!! and shaved off small amounts from the belly and back and sides of the bow untill i could pull it back reasonably well. (trimming the ends did increase the pull weight drasticly) if you want more detail let me know.
Last edited by dwayne davis on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great pics! Thanks for posting, my shortbow is just around 25lbs, I have a larger longbow that is 45lbs. Did you make your own arrows? I like your arrow bag too, I just made one day. I like your stuff! Where did you find that knife?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Thanks for the comliments.
Yes i did make my own arrows( try to save money where i can) they are 3/8 inch poplar dowells actually. my fletching and bodkin points came from here http://www.3riversarchery.com/
the quiver is my own design, i get my leather from tandy leather co.
as far as the knife goes, the blade was from atlanta cutlery co. and the handle is made from some oak i had lying areound. i think my bow now draws at about 55-60 pounds a little hard on the shoulders now and then lol. making youre own gear is not hard all you have to do is take youre time and be willing to learn as you go. if i can help sertainly let me know ok.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

One of my favorite things about this hobby (obsession etc) is making gear. Cool about the arrows, I have never been that great at arrow-making, to be honest. I have a knife blade from Atlanta Cutlery I have been meaning to mount for awhile now and have not yet gotten around to doing that. I hope that you might make it to the CRF this year, love to meet another Ranger, especially since you are just over the mountains 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Mirimaran wrote:One of my favorite things about this hobby (obsession etc) is making gear. Cool about the arrows, I have never been that great at arrow-making, to be honest. I have a knife blade from Atlanta Cutlery I have been meaning to mount for awhile now and have not yet gotten around to doing that. I hope that you might make it to the CRF this year, love to meet another Ranger, especially since you are just over the mountains 8)
So why don't we start a separate thread about the Carolina Ren faire and see who'll be going?
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

jolromir wrote:As far as the knife goes, the blade was from atlanta cutlery co. and the handle is made from some oak i had lying areound.
What blade from AC was it made with?

I just experienced catastrophic failure with my beloved nepal kukri. The wooden handle just snapped clean off inside the brass guard that's attached to the tang. I'm workig on running a steel rod through the tang and handle along with some JB weld to hold it all together again, but I don't know if I can trust it in a high-impact role ever again, so I'm in the market. That blade is gorgeous, and may be exactly what I'm looking for to fill the void. Care to share what model of theirs it was (bear in mind, I am aware that the handle is custom.)

EDIT: It wouldn't happen to be the California Bowie Carbon Blade, would it? WOW that's a million times cheaper than I was expecting...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Great pics and an ingenius way of creating a shorter bow. How does it effect the draw length?

Very nice kit!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow that's a nice looking kit. I still cant wail until I'm at that point with my stuff.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

OK to ansewer your questions.
the blade is what atlanta cutlery calls the "california" bowie blade, it is full tang and holds a pretty good edge.
:)
The draw length of my short bow was only afected by about two inches ( i usualy shoot a 26 inch arrow anyway) . 28 is the longest i have ever shot .

as far as the carolina ren fair goes i will have to see how my schedule goes i would like to attend if possible. although i am still working on my clothing and few small items. so i don't have every thing together yet.:D
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Have you got any dimensions on that knife? I was inspired by some recent successes in the forge and thought I'd try my hand at my own version. So far I have something in the overall length range of 19".
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That blade blank is overall 16" with a 11 1/4" blade.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks Pete. I was shooting for something around that length, maybe a bit longer. But I'm still learning about how metal expands in one direction when you hit it from the other direction. :roll: I intentionally didn't counter-bend the blade before starting the edge bevel. It is taking a nice curve just like I wanted. Hopefully I can have some progress pics when I figure out Photobucket.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I didn't figure out Photobucket till about 2 years ago and only then with help from my daughter. PM me if you need any help with it.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, great. I'm about to start messing around with it to see what I can do.
I've been using Picasa, but since my computer went down a while ago and they upgraded to Picasa 3, I can't get it to run on my computer. It's a shame too. I have albums online that I can still access, but I can't add more pics to it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

If it were me I'd do a factory install and the original version of Picasa should then run and you'd be able to add to your albums. My eldest happens to be coming home late tonight, Ill ask her then post bac. It will be late or sometime tomarrow.