First put together picture of my kit (pic heavy)

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erfaron
Dúnadan

First put together picture of my kit (pic heavy)

Post by Erfaron »

Here is the first actual pictures of my kit, also included are my dogs sniffing around because they smelled my lunch from the hike I went on previously. I have my linen tunic and cotton 'braise', I took a pair of costume ren fest pants and cut the laced section on the calf off, allowing for essentially long shorts. My belt kit includes my knife with a handmade handle, fire kit and tomahawk. I have a 2L water skin with a leather lace strap and cork stopper. In the haversack I have a ground cloth that is the footprint for my REI tent, a pich containing a water filter, sharpening stone and cordage. My lunch also goes in the haversack. For footware, not pictured, I just started using Teva sandals for the florida heat, and they are really nice for the general look im trying to go with.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: First put together picture of my kit (pic heavy)

Post by Cimrandir »

Fantastic stuff here, Erfaron. How do you like the half length pants? That's my preferred length since you can catch the breeze to cool down.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:16 am Fantastic stuff here, Erfaron. How do you like the half length pants? That's my preferred length since you can catch the breeze to cool down.
This is my first time actually trekking with them, however I loved them, especially in addition with the sandals, enabled me to go through shallow streams and puddles without issue, and kept me cooler in the 90 degree weather we had today in FL
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Awesome. I find it’s like medieval zip-off pants. If warm, you can cool down by leaving your legs bare. If cold, simple enough to add some winnegas or legwraps. Very versatile.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

It looks really good. Do you have a hat and shoes?
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome stuff :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:41 am It looks really good. Do you have a hat and shoes?
No hat or hood as of now, I’m thinking of making one from palm fronds or saw palmetto but I need to do more research first.
On the subject of shoes, I don’t have any period shoes, I just started use Teva hiking sandals, which I can’t recommend enough, or minimalist trial shoes from Xero. I plan on making myself a pair of leather sandals, similar to Roman caligae, and some turn shoes or moccasins
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

What a great start! And most excellent taste in travelling companions. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Erfaron wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am
Tom_Ranger wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:41 am It looks really good. Do you have a hat and shoes?
No hat or hood as of now, I’m thinking of making one from palm fronds or saw palmetto but I need to do more research first.
On the subject of shoes, I don’t have any period shoes, I just started use Teva hiking sandals, which I can’t recommend enough, or minimalist trial shoes from Xero. I plan on making myself a pair of leather sandals, similar to Roman caligae, and some turn shoes or moccasins
Oh, I forgot to ask. What model of Tevas do you have? I love my Chacos but while they're four years old and still going strong, I was thinking about getting another pair of sandals to start cycling between them. If they have a suitable medieval-ish flair, all the better.
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 pm
Erfaron wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am
Oh, I forgot to ask. What model of Tevas do you have? I love my Chacos but while they're four years old and still going strong, I was thinking about getting another pair of sandals to start cycling between them. If they have a suitable medieval-ish flair, all the better.
The hurricane XLT2
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very cool. Thanks!

I think a hat made out of palmetto or palm fronds would be super cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:15 pm Very cool. Thanks!

I think a hat made out of palmetto or palm fronds would be super cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
It might be just because I recently reread king Solomon’s mines, but I’m thinking of a safari bucket / boonie hat design, woven from natural foliage
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I’m sure you’ve seen it but just in case you haven’t, Udwin made a hat out of cattails that is exactly that. Check it out for some inspiration for sure. I’m sure he’d be happy to give some construction pointers if you need them.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =39&t=3497
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:50 pm I’m sure you’ve seen it but just in case you haven’t, Udwin made a hat out of cattails that is exactly that. Check it out for some inspiration for sure. I’m sure he’d be happy to give some construction pointers if you need them.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =39&t=3497
I have not but that’s pretty much what I was thinking, that’s awesome
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Great start!