Your favorite dying method?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Your favorite dying method?

Post by Eric C »

I went out last week and bought some dark green Rit dye. I wanted brown, but Walmart was out of it. Sunday, I threw three osnaburg shirts and the two packets of dye solution per the package instructions into the washing machine and came out with three shirts dyed to varying degrees of green. At first I wasn't happy with the results, but as I thought about it, I realized that the shirts don't look like they are brand new off of the store shelf. So, overall, I'm pleased with the job that was done. I will post pics sometime very soon as I am still getting things together for the RenFaire this weekend (as I write, my son is beating away on his leather belt, putting the pattern in it :D ).
But this whole dying thing got me thinking of hopefully a good thread for the board here. What is your favorite method for dying material?
What material does your method work best on?
Does anybody know any dye recipes that you don't buy in a box, and how well do they work?
Just fill us all in on your dye recipes/methods.
jackadmin
Athel Dunedain

Post by jackadmin »

I got big into natural dying a few years back... It's really fun to find plants in the back yard, prep them, and use them to color period clothes. Really makes wearing them come alive for me.

The things I took away from it: wool is the easiest to dye with natural dyes, mordants make all the difference. (A mordant is substance that you use to pre- and/or post treat cloth, it both helps set a dye, and affects the end color) A good source for mordants is: http://earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyemord.htm

Most of my experiments were with Yarrow, which is VERY abundant here, and I think throughout the US in overgrown meadow areas. Depending on the mordant it will produce a grey, green or yellow. Most any plant has some sort of dye use, including most tree species, (around here spruce, birch & willow are good dye plants).

Anyway, if you want to buy premade natural dyes, woad (blue/indigo color) and madder (red) were about the most common dyes in medieval Europe and translate well to Middle Earth, are available at Earthguild which I linked above.
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I've always used Rit, but recently I purchased a packet of Black Walnut Hull dye. Apparantly makes a nice brown color. When I finish my second tunic I'll try it out, and let you know how well it works.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Great! I look forward to seeing the results.