What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jasonofthehill
Wayfarer

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by jasonofthehill »

Eofor wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:31 pm
jasonofthehill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:30 pm I ordered the Strider sword (without much forethought) and when it showed up it was a lot longer and heavier than expected and hanging it from my belt doesn't seem all that reasonable.
How are you hanging it? If you want to wear it on your belt there are various suspensions that can distribute the weight better, I have a longsword that can be belt worn in all but the roughest brush. Though if it's very heavy maybe not.
It's the Darksword Armory Ranger sword - site has it listed as 46"overall and just under 5lbs. I was thinking maybe a frog on top and a strap further down the scabbard. Then when I want it out of the way, have something set up to allow the frog to pivot and shorten the lower strap toward the baldrick strap. Then secure it in place.

Might be easier to just carry it attached to my bed roll, when I want it out the way.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Iodo wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:14 pm does that mean a prize for a two part in depth how-to video? lol :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUeRPRp9Q94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1Ilrfcs_s
Yes it does, the prize is being the best and most talented Dwarf on here

I shall proudly defend that title until someone worthy takes it from me :mrgreen:

Eofor wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:31 pmYour surcoat and hood are fantastic, are you coping with the covid?

Thank you :P I'm OK, just the usual symptoms (fever, cough etc...) and I am getting better but it's annoyingly slow, I was hoping to be able to go to an event this weekend but I'm still testing positive so it's looking less and less likely
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Thanks Eofor! Just a straight reproduction.
Frodo lives!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Udwin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:32 pm I've been working on a reconstructed karma helmet...
Thats pretty fantastic, are we talking fully functional?
Though it's a major headache considering the stylized nature and vague description of his sketch - that is the plan! As a workable prototype I'm just using cow rawhide and a cannibalized brass planter right now, so hopefully when I make a Mk 2 down the road I can spring for more accurate methods and materials.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:12 pm The wife and I are trying to improve our eating habits and I'm trying to get in exercise in some form or another once a day. No good being a Ranger that loses his breath walking over a couple hills.
I feel this all to keenly. I had a bout of ill health three years ago and have yet to regain even a measure of my former strength.

Kram Bu? Did you get proper leg wraps or the Søgård Mose ones?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

jasonofthehill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:41 pm Might be easier to just carry it attached to my bed roll, when I want it out the way.
There's a lot of this to be considered in the practicality of being a ranger. It often comes up when discussing bows and whether or not you would be ready in an ambush as your bow (in theory) would be unstrung in your hand or on your back.
A relevant question may be how quickly you can shrug off that roll and draw the sword from it?

For my part I do enjoy a sword handy on the hip but the suspension absolutely needs to be right and once it is you don't even notice it there.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:50 pm Thank you :P I'm OK, just the usual symptoms (fever, cough etc...) and I am getting better but it's annoyingly slow, I was hoping to be able to go to an event this weekend but I'm still testing positive so it's looking less and less likely
I'm super glad you're okay. I'm yet to get it but most everyone I know has had it and at least one has long covid. Thats some nasty stuff.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:15 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:12 pm The wife and I are trying to improve our eating habits and I'm trying to get in exercise in some form or another once a day. No good being a Ranger that loses his breath walking over a couple hills.
I feel this all to keenly. I had a bout of ill health three years ago and have yet to regain even a measure of my former strength.

Kram Bu? Did you get proper leg wraps or the Søgård Mose ones?
The winnegas/leg-band style. From what I've read, they were found to be mostly woven to width so it was just easier to commission her to make a pair versus trying to learn on a loom haha. The Søgård Mose design I can sew myself eventually.

Yeah, a couple years dealing with various mental health issues and working either in a stationary dig-site versus walking miles and miles of survey or in the office doing paperwork seems to have an adverse affect of fitness levels. Who knew?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Taylor Steiner wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:52 pm Thanks Eofor! Just a straight reproduction.
Pffffffft why not go something new and unique?!?!? Get some grey and blue leather in there?
I'm stirring of course, I know all too well how attractive a proper reproduction can be but I also love to see the variation that would have logically occurred in gear throughout history.
Udwin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 pm Though it's a major headache considering the stylized nature and vague description of his sketch - that is the plan! As a workable prototype I'm just using cow rawhide and a cannibalized brass planter right now, so hopefully when I make a Mk 2 down the road I can spring for more accurate methods and materials.
I'm sure you want to keep it under wraps for a newsletter reveal but if you need an opinion I'm always happy to help. Perhaps decorative construction techniques of Japanese Kabuto may be worth a look?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm I'm super glad you're okay. I'm yet to get it but most everyone I know has had it and at least one has long covid. Thats some nasty stuff.
Thanks :P yeah, it is some nasty stuff, hopefully I'm not at of getting that because I'm already mostly better, but as of today my sense of smell is all but gone, I seriously hope it comes back because how will I identify wild plants/tell if water is safe to drink/know if wildfire is coming my way and all that good stuff?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Lol I hear ya Eofor :mrgreen: I hope you continue to get better Iodo!
Frodo lives!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:49 pm Thanks :P yeah, it is some nasty stuff, hopefully I'm not at of getting that because I'm already mostly better, but as of today my sense of smell is all but gone, I seriously hope it comes back because how will I identify wild plants/tell if water is safe to drink/know if wildfire is coming my way and all that good stuff?
In a land without light, the blind man is king. Learn to better use the other senses.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:09 am In a land without light, the blind man is king. Learn to better use the other senses.

Quite right :P however at work I'm a fire marshal/indecent controller and I'm having trouble understanding how I can be expected to safely search a factory building and identify a fire without the ability to smell? but I guess I cross that bridge when I come to it LOL
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:18 am Quite right :P however at work I'm a fire marshal/indecent controller and I'm having trouble understanding how I can be expected to safely search a factory building and identify a fire without the ability to smell? but I guess I cross that bridge when I come to it LOL
The modern day applications ruin all great philosophy. Keeping with the theme of the forum, you could put birds in cages at major ignition points, to see if they start choking or die.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

I've got a few projects on my plate. I'm making a bowie from a blank, I'm carving a cup to replace my kuksa since I hope to replace everything I bought with things I made. That was my original intention when I started this hobby, but I just wanted to get out and start rangering instead of just making stuff all the time. For my latest projects, I am making a waster of my bauernwehr so I could have an equivalent when I patrol areas where weapons aren't allowed. I am also starting another gambeson. I made one last year, but its like a dark teal in color which may not blend in very well. And I filled it with natural cotton so it may get heavy and stinky with sweat so something more historical may be needed. I'll make threads for these projects with pictures. Started on the waster, but I'm still designing the gambeson.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’