Anyone ever try posca?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Togon
Dúnadan

Anyone ever try posca?

Post by Togon »

I was watching the Metatron's channel a while ago and he mentioned posca as like a Roman Gatorade. He mentioned, while there are no known recipes, that it was usually made by either watering down wine or wine vinegar with some herbs added. While I was preparing my waterskin for my trek before last, I couldn't help noticing the bottles of wine we had close by. I got a crazy idea and added some cab sau to my skin. While out on the trail, the taste did make things a little easier to drink. Not that I ever had any problems drinking water, but it made it easier to go down. I also noticed I seemed to have a little more endurance. Can't quite explain that one; either my stamina is returning or the posca did something. I tried it on my last trek too and the results were the same. I found a better recipe online and I'm going to try that one out with things like honey and coriander added. I'll keep you posted on how that one goes.

I have heard about cordials some carry for energy. Are those similar? Does anyone have any experience or stories? Recipes? Maybe just a beverage while patrolling thread?
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Re: Anyone ever try posca?

Post by Erfaron »

I did red wine vinegar mixed with water for a few days at the fire station, and it honestly felt like it did hydrate me fairly well, just make sure you get the mixture right so it isn’t too strong
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Posca no, but switchel yes - which sounds like much the same thing, albeit with more northerly ingredients. It's just the thing for a hot day, provided as Erfaron says it's not too strong.The vinegar can really cut through your thirst - or turn your stomach if there's too much.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

I've done cold herbal teas - usually mint and sage - but I don't know if I've tried this before. I've got a short hike scheduled this Monday, so I'll give it a try then.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I like to add lemon juice to my water if its going to be a warm one.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

I took two bottles of a similar mixture on my latest hike - all day, about 14 miles total. Mint-sage tea (from garden-grown herbs) with some white wine vinegar and honey stirred in. Not overpowering, but tangy enough to tickle a thirsty throat. Still, very refreshing, and I drank the last mouthful with some regret. I find it one of the best hiking drinks I have yet tried.

Once they ran out, I had a mix of lemon juice powder and sugar that I poured into a refilled bottle and shook up. Lemonade is almost as good. Maybe next time I'll cut way back on the sugar.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

Posca's good stuff! I usually do a mixture of water and red wine vinegar so that the water just turns pink. Took some with me on my last hike, and both myself and my friend felt pretty good about it.
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Seems like this is likely in a similar vein to the folks I know from my local Renaissance festival who SWEAR by drinking pickle brine on a hot day. Truth be told, it sounds absolutely revolting to me, but then, I despise nearly all things pickled as a rule, so drinking the brine straight is about one of the worst things I could imagine! :lol:
That being said, perhaps just a small amount of red wine vinegar wouldn’t be QUITE so off-putting… but I’m not sure I’m game to try it in any case, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I grew up in an Eastern European household and everything is better pickled, I have a whole fridge shelf for pickles.

Pickle juice is used by elite atheles as a natural cramp remedy. It supposedly has many of the same benefits as a sports drink.
I will drink the juice just to make my wife squeal with disgust but not otherwise.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Nimrassion

Post by Nimrassion »

I regularly keep some shrub/switchel in my fridge. I used Jas Townsends recipe from YouTube (link below) and it’s pretty delicious. I use maple syrup instead of molasses. My last batch I used ginger paste instead of powder, hoping it would mix better and not just settle in the glass. It’s also superb mixed with fruit juices (had some scuppernong juice and it was knockout). I live in Florida so it’s nice to have a cool drink like this on hand. I’ve replaced all my soda and electrolyte drinks in the house with this.

https://youtu.be/e8sPaesPOiU
The Twilight Company : Rangers of Evendim

“Above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.”