MERS Fall 2022 Trek Recap

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Odigan
Vendor

MERS Fall 2022 Trek Recap

Post by Odigan »

This past week three adventurers again gathered in the wilds of southern Indiana for travel and merriment!

The weather was unusually warm, and we all removed extras from our loadouts on departure to lessen our carried weight (which would still prove more than we’d like). On the first day we covered almost ten miles and made camp just before dark, the consequence of a late start. Early on water was hard to come by and collected from small pools in otherwise dry streambeds, but as we progressed more substantial sources were had. We never wanted, and filled only so much as we anticipated needing until the next source.

The temperatures even at night continued to be very mild, making just a single layer of linen sufficient for comfort. On the morning of the third day we woke to light rain and cached much of our gear at a well-traveled crossroads, to make haste for our lodgings ahead of expected weather. In all we traversed over 32 miles (52 km) on trails often hardly discernible through the quantity of leaves upon them, and over terrain that was for the most part moderate but had no shortage of gradients. Our food was simple, our laughter hearty, and our shoulders sore.

Day 1: 9.6 mi/2.2 mph (15.4 km/3.5 kmh)
Day 2: 10.8 mi/1.7 mph (17.4/2.7 kmh)
Day 3: 12.2 mi/2.3 mph (19.6/3.7 kmh)

Conversation was supplanted by rustling.
TT2022_1.jpg
TT2022_1.jpg (133.12 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
TT2022_2.jpg
TT2022_2.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
TT2022_4.jpg
TT2022_4.jpg (145.57 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
TT2022_5.jpg
TT2022_5.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
TT2022_6.jpg
TT2022_6.jpg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: MERS Fall 2022 Trek Recap

Post by Manveruon »

Sounds like an absolute blast, and you guys look great as always! I’m thoroughly impressed with the distance you managed to cover! But then, that also may be due to the fact that most trails around here have so much elevation gain that every mile feels like about 2 or 3 most of the time, and most folks I’ve been hiking with lately aren’t all that interested in longer hikes.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome! Great pics and story!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

My heart bleeds that I could not share this with you!

What were the temps like?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Days were high 60's to low 70's, and nights were mid-50's. Unusually warm for November, and given that these dates were chosen about 2 months in advance, it was nothing short of a mad stroke of luck that we weren't sleeping in the 30's. It was colder right before, and became colder right after. Total surprise.

Manveruon, we certainly had plenty of Elevation gain, though certainly not in the same league as a lot of Colorado...I'd call this stretch noticeably more strenuous than what you and I did in that Blizzard. The distance was definitely the game plan this time (as there was no pick-up arranged...we left a car at the trail's end and had no choice but to make it there) but it was definitely work!

I'd say that this was one of the most interesting trips we've yet taken as this group...we worked the hardest for our mileage, and yet I slept the most comfortably and felt the most satisfied with my food and gear carrying methods than I have as of yet. Getting to field test a few new additions certainly didn't hurt any...but more time for that stuff later!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Whooo! That's awesome! Looks like it was loads of fun. One of these days...
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Great pictures! Sounds like you all had a very beautiful trek!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

don't know how I missed this post, but Awesome stuff, and the photo's are great :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That looks like a magical time - very very cool!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

The olde school ways. Wish I was there.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

(I'm just on my phone right now so can't figure out how to embed a clickable video, but for now) you can check out our video of this trek HERE!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

The video is fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing this, guys! Just absolutely gorgeous! I am SUPER jealous!

Here’s a direct link to the video too, in case the other from Udwin doesn’t work (it didn’t for me, unfortunately):
https://youtu.be/JLmYDnSk7Xk
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Just awesome!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Yep, awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I just watched the video and enjoyed it very much.

Thank you for always going to such efforts to share your adventures with us. I know all to well how annoying it can be at times to break the immersion to take photos let alone send a drone up but I'm so grateful you do.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.