Leather Roman pack from the Comacchio Shipwreck

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Leather Roman pack from the Comacchio Shipwreck

Post by Eofor »

As I have been posting this on Facebook I thought I may share it here as well as it's quite a nice thing

I recently saw this reproduction of a Roman mantica from the comacchio shipwreck and was impressed by it’s simplicity, practicality and cost. It’s a simple hide with attached laces that is able to keep two tunics, a wax tablet (with container), three smaller bags and a spare pair of socks all nice and dry (the author insisted more would have easily fit)

Such a pack could easily be strapped to a frame pack, walking pole, horse or shoulder strap. It could also be used to keep goods dry in canoes.

Last edited by Eofor on Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Leatehr Roman pack from the Comacchio Shipwreck

Post by Cimrandir »

Heh, I love that we run in the same circles in the wider reenactment sphere. I saw that post just the other day myself and immediately thought of using it for my Ranger kit. I would want to play around with it and how best to configure it with my bedroll and maybe one of Elleth's food snapsacks. But the idea is very sound and I will probably make one at some point.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Leather Roman pack from the Comacchio Shipwreck

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.

I like it!

... reminds me in concept of both Japanese furoshiki and the US WWI / WWII "haversack" that was basically just panels and straps.

There's a wonderful graceful simplicity to the idea.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thats not that far away from an 'Envelope' knapsack, those are a squared off piece of leather (or cheap canvas if you're British!) with straps and a couple of big pockets to help keep it all organised (and make them look all military and uniform).

Like the style a lot
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I hadn't seen that before, interesting and thx for sharing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

That's a great way of packing it up.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.