Nettle fabric and period clothing source

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Nettle fabric and period clothing source

Post by Elleth »

Ever since Udwin made this observation -
... for textiles, nettle seems almost on equal footing with flax in the old European archeology. If you have a good patch of them available off-property, you can still have fibres for fabric without sacrificing arable land. (Was on my mind since I spent a good chunk of my afternoon in seasonal Beorning gear, gathering a giant bundle from my patch while practicing other 'deep' skills.)
Re: On maintaining a Ranger: farm economics and deep authenticity

... I've kind of been on the lookout for nettle fabrics and references to same. There's Iodo's ramie shirt of course, and I'd come across a fair amount of coarse nettle fabric (mostly Tibetan in origin I think) I've been using for other projects..

But this looks really interesting -
merf-ruslana-nettle-tunic.jpg
merf-ruslana-nettle-tunic.jpg (210.38 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1402222501 ... unic-early?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1402229971 ... 65cm-width?

If the pieces I've found so far are anything to go by, it's got an interesting hand... kinda close to a coarser hemp. I don't think this piece is in my budget in the near future, but very cool! If anyone has experience with the stuff, I'm curious to hear how it goes.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Nettle fabric and period clothing source

Post by Udwin »

Ughhh that stuff looks gorgeous, the herringbone especially. So much more character than plainweave rustic linen, but without being wool a la OWC/ECHO. (The way things are going, I get maybe 2 weeks each year when wool is needed. It was nearly 80*F here this week :|
Why does Europe get to have all the good stuff? Materials, locations, serious reenactors, temperatures...
I really need to poke around on etsy more (or at all, really)...
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

If the price for that tunic's too high, something worth looking for is - if you're willing to hack up historic textiles - old European grain sacks. I've seen some some made from ~hundred year old handwoven hemp (and maybe once or twice a nettle?) that have a gorgeous hand and a fair amount of life still in them. I also once found a child's sleeping tick in hemp I thought might made a decent browse bag. The fabric turned out to be far too heavy for that, but it was still very interesting stuff to play with - and not terribly expensive, plus a good look at authentic pre-industrial stitchery to boot.

There's some awesome stuff out there!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

This is incredible stuff! Definitely the textile texture my kit is missing. Now I’m gonna go down a rabbit hole with this stuff lol
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Yes, that is lovely. Thanks for showing!
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)