Dwarven Coat

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Dwarven Coat

Post by Barandir »

Does anyone know if there is a real world equivalent to the coat in this pic of the Dwarven archer that got posted a while back? I would love to have one made (or eventually attempt to make one myself).

https://imgur.com/a/nsVfSkC

If anyone knows or would be interested in possibly making one, let me know!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Yavion

Re: Dwarven Coat

Post by Yavion »

It looks like a Russ coat with an off-set/overlap front that's a little low in the collar.

Like a combo of this:

And this:
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo has something similar to that on her youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9fx7QlG6vE)
She is also here in these forums so you can chat with her on it.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Ok cool! I’ll have to look more in not that for sure.

I also still need to get around to learning how to tablet weave so I can make the trim lol.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

They are known by many names. Kaftan if it's from further east, warrior coat if it's from the earlier Migration Period, klappenrock if it's the one from Haithabu...

Here's a rather famous pressblech depicting the warrior coat.

wrap1.gif
wrap1.gif (60.3 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

OK, Some detailed pictures here:

viewtopic.php?t=4523

mine is not far off, and I have thought about making something like the coat in that drawing in the past because I do really like it, if I ever do a proper dwarven gambeson I will probably also use a similar design, it's a good look :P

it looks hard but it's not a complicated pattern, you could give it a go, if you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:17 am They are known by many names. Kaftan if it's from further east, warrior coat if it's from the earlier Migration Period, klappenrock if it's the one
I’ve been looking at some migration period warrior coats for inspiration, and I am definitely going to go that route I think. I’ll probably get my hands on one and use it to develop a pattern.

Iodo, I’ll definitely hit you up when I get around to the project!

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Barandir wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:33 pm Iodo, I’ll definitely hit you up when I get around to the project!
sure thing :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Barandir wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:33 pm I’ve been looking at some migration period warrior coats for inspiration, and I am definitely going to go that route I think. I’ll probably get my hands on one and use it to develop a pattern.
No need for that expense, if you have a wrap around bath robe at home that you like then they are almost the same pattern. It's how the templates for the first recreations were made by Dave Huggins and the folks from Wulfheodenas. I have a pair if you would like any photos of gussets, gores and the like.

With regards to weaving, I'd recommend you begin with inkle. An inkle loom can be made at home with timber scraps and it's far less complicated to learn. The braid from it is not as complex but still quite nice.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Eofor wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:01 pm I have a pair if you would like any photos of gussets, gores and the like.
I would love that! It’s going to be a couple months before I’m able to start working on it, but I’d love to spend that time putting a game plan together!