Is this sword Khazad?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Is this sword Khazad?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm subscribed to Matt Easton's Youtube channel and I just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRXMNHt2oU.
Its a sword type I'd not seen before, but the first thought that popped into my head is "That hilt looks Dwarvish".
I know its not very WETA but I think that sometimes they compromise functionality and usability for their 'Angles everywhere' Dwarven aesthetic

All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Is this sword Khazad?

Post by Peter Remling »

No, that's a copy Viking sword from a burial site. Someone of importance by its decoration. As to whether you see a Dwarvish styling, that's subjective but I say nope. It's too obviously a Viking sword to be construed by anyone who knows blades to be considered a Dwarf sword. If you want something a dwarf would carry first determine who the dwarf is. What's his social status in the society. Then buy or design a blade and build up a guard a pommel so that it doesn't closely resemble something actually from history. Make it a unique fantasy piece.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

The picture is tiny so my first though was the Suontaka sword, a Viking age find from a high status female burial rather unusual in it's design which is why it doesn't immediately jump out as viking.

But I think it's actually the one from Langeid, Norway.

https://www.castlekeep.co.uk/viking-swo ... sword.html
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
I know what it is (Late Viking, High status and probably owned by an early Christian..... or at least a 'lip-service' Christian ).
I was asking if other people thought the hilt (and specifically the guard) looked different enough to the more standardised "Human Style" of sword.

Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Ahhh right.

Well Dwarven swords in particular have always confused me somewhat. The Dwarves of the Iron Hills carry short broad swords which given stature, relative strength and inclination to fight underground makes sense but how do they use them? How does Thorin wield an Elvish longsword?

I have always imagined the standard Dwarf sword to be something along the lines of a gladius, this design would lend itself well to that with the large pommel and chunky guard. If I can get a few moments spare I'll cobble the two together in photoshop and see what it would look like.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

What do you think? Personally I think it marries up really well. Easy enough from here to change the decoration on the guard to runic inscription and have something like a stylized lonely mountain with the arkenstone radiating underneath it on the pommel.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thanks Eofor, thats fairly close to my vision (and if I could make image-editing software work thats about what I'd of shown in the OP)
For the pommel, I was thinking of a hollow square (set on the diamond) along the lines of the hollow ring used on Gallowglas swords.