Arrow build

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

A Mayer
Dúnadan

Arrow build

Post by A Mayer »

Batch of arrows to go with the new bow.
Douglas Fir shafts, natural barred wild turkey feather and a few yellow for 3D ranges.

I use various grains of sandpaper glued to craft sticks to finish the nocks.

Natural barred wild turkey compared to dyed farm raised from Trueflight(which are still great feathers) below.

I use a craft paper chopper to cut full length arrows. I haven’t actually noticed a difference between the new cut for the barred and the grey fletching.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Arrow build

Post by ForgeCorvus »

How much twist have you put on those fletchings?

I do like making use of the natural angle of the barbs, although I tend to just nip the trailing corner off. Not a hard crop like the grey arrow..... I'll have to see if I've got any left of my handcut fletchings.

Wild turkey does look a lot nicer then the dyed ones.

Lovely set of arrows all round
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 pm How much twist have you put on those fletchings?

I do like making use of the natural angle of the barbs, although I tend to just nip the trailing corner off. Not a hard crop like the grey arrow..... I'll have to see if I've got any left of my handcut fletchings.

Wild turkey does look a lot nicer then the dyed ones.

Lovely set of arrows all round
Thank you!
Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Post by Wild Vins »

Nice arrows! and your nocks are made with patience and precision, some beauties!

I love natural feathers too, more flexible and resistance than the treated ones.

Normally, with feathers cut like your grey ones, your arrows will be more silenced when the arrow is flying.
With feathers with long tip, it will be more noisy but the arrow will fly better on short distances because it will straighten faster.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope you will understand me :mrgreen:
Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Wild Vins wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:57 pm Nice arrows! and your nocks are made with patience and precision, some beauties!

I love natural feathers too, more flexible and resistance than the treated ones.

Normally, with feathers cut like your grey ones, your arrows will be more silenced when the arrow is flying.
With feathers with long tip, it will be more noisy but the arrow will fly better on short distances because it will straighten faster.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope you will understand me :mrgreen:
Thanks Wild Vins.
You’re right. The grey “shield” cuts are quieter. I’m guessing that’s why almost all manufactured arrows use shield cut. Most days I’m shooting inside so I can hear everything, sounds actually amplified. So far, out to about 30 meters flight performance seems about equal, at least at my skill level. I was getting some upward kick on the arrows at release, but adjusted the string knock and that fixed it.

And you’re English is much much better than my French or any second language for that matter😉

Thanks again
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Those look great, good job on the nocks. Are you using glue or tape for the fletchings?
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 am Those look great, good job on the nocks. Are you using glue or tape for the fletchings?
Thanks Wilhelm,

I use glue. I've never had any experience with tape. Of course I only do small batches.
your arrows look amazing btw.

Andy
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 pm How much twist have you put on those fletchings?

Hey, I didn't see the first question. Sorry.

I'll post some pics hopefully showing the twist. I can't honestly say if its a deep or shallow twist. I just adjust the jig so the base of the feather has the most surface contact with the arrow shaft.
Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Post by Wild Vins »

A Mayer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 am Those look great, good job on the nocks. Are you using glue or tape for the fletchings?
Thanks Wilhelm,

I use glue. I've never had any experience with tape. Of course I only do small batches.

Andy
Having tried both, I would advise using the adhesive tape ONLY if you are attaching the feathers ENTIRELY LENGTH with thread.

If you only attach the top and bottom of the feathers, it will start to peel off after a year with adhesive tape

Personally, I use the glue when I'm attaching just the top and bottom and I use the tape when I'm attaching everywhere.

It starts like in this photo, then ends up peeling off the entire feather
:mrgreen:
Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

A Mayer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 pm
Thanks Wilhelm,

Andy
Thank you very much!