My lightweight kit for short treks

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Wild Vins
Wayfarer

My lightweight kit for short treks

Post by Wild Vins »

Hello my lords,

I wanna show you my lightweight system.
Nothing really new, I was inspired by your many creations which I then adapted to my needs.

I use this configuration during my short one-day treks (or possibly 2 days maximum if the weather is hot).

This kit is composed of a" bedroll" and a small basic snapsack, both mounted on a leather belt.

The snapsack :
A simple rectangle of linen, approximately 16"x16", that I waxed with beeswax, folded in half, sewn, then pierced at each end to insert the leather laces (two to close the bag at the top and bottom and two others to attach it to the strap, so you can easily open or close the bag while you are carrying it).

In this snapsack, I have :
-flour
-semolina
-potatoes
-nuts
-hazelnuts
-military cooking pot (which I hope to replace QUICKLY!)
-horn goblet
-wooden spoon
-natural soap
-natural sponge made from a kind of pumpkin called Luffa that you grow and then let dry to recover the fibrous interior which makes superb sponges)
-salt
-pepper
-archery glove
-rope

The bedroll :
It is made from a sheet of cotton that I waxed with beeswax to make it waterproof.

Inside this waxed tarp is then an 8ft x 8ft wool blanket.

And, in this blanket is rolled the following material :
-hammock
-hemp rope (for the hammock)
-candle
-torch (+ additional battery)
-emergency glowstick
-sew kit

For short treks, I chose the hammock for 2 reasons: it is compact and it provides protection against ticks (which often come out in my country).

The wool blanket serves me either as a tarp for the hammock, or as a blanket in the hammock, or as a shelter on the ground if there are no ticks.

For my longer treks or when the weather is colder, I use a heavier kit including a backpack wooden frame, a tent and sleeping bag (post coming soon).

Last edited by Wild Vins on Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Re: My equipment for short treks

Post by Wild Vins »

Wild Vins wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:29 pm Hello my lords,

I wanna show you my lightweight system.
Nothing really new, I was inspired by your many creations which I then adapted to my needs.

I use this configuration during my short one-day treks (or possibly 2 days maximum if the weather is hot).

This kit is composed of a" bedroll" and a small basic snapsack, both mounted on a leather belt.

The snapsack :
A simple rectangle of linen, approximately 16"x16", that I waxed with beeswax, folded in half, sewn, then pierced at each end to insert the leather laces (two to close the bag at the top and bottom and two others to attach it to the strap, so you can easily open or close the bag while you are carrying it).

In this snapsack, I have :
-flour
-semolina
-potatoes
-nuts
-hazelnuts
-military cooking pot (which I hope to replace QUICKLY!)
-horn goblet
-horn fork
-wooden spoon
-natural soap
-natural sponge made from a kind of pumpkin called Luffa that you grow and then let dry to recover the fibrous interior which makes superb sponges)
-salt
-pepper
-archery glove
-rope

The bedroll :
It is made from a sheet of cotton that I waxed with beeswax to make it waterproof.

Inside this waxed tarp is then an 8ft x 8ft wool blanket.

And, in this blanket is rolled the following material :
-hammock
-hemp rope (for the hammock)
-candle
-torch (+ additional battery)
-emergency glowstick
-sew kit

For short treks, I chose the hammock for 2 reasons: it is compact and it provides protection against ticks (which often come out in my country).

The wool blanket serves me either as a tarp for the hammock, or as a blanket in the hammock, or as a shelter on the ground if there are no ticks.

For my longer treks or when the weather is colder, I use a heavier kit including a backpack wooden frame, a tent and sleeping bag (post coming soon).

Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France